Orange river pebbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange river pebbles

I've seen these very often along the kanawha and Ohio rivers but wondering is this just a river pebble Chert or is there a name.theh come usually smaller and rounded. Light orange dark orange and some off whites.heres some pics from the Ohio river.any ideas

Jeez!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Lol did I say something wrong greg

Comment

Great way to make some feel welcome greg,,how rude man.

Comment

Your showing various stones and a few look like possibly chert. What kind is hard to say really, a few look like maybe there not even chert just plain ordinary rocks. I think instead of trying to identify Lithics you should start small by simply learning to identify artifacts, and differentiate intentional tool forms from waste flakes. Once that happens then identifying Lithics may be easier for you. I can see your enthusiastic, but you have to crawl before you can walk. I personally didn't start figuring out the names of lithics until I collected for several years and had exposed myself to lots of artifacts.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

What I'm working on doing since I'm in a new and unfamiliar area now,is ask litbic questions, I find these alot mostly just wondering if they had a name or are a common used lithic.i find em everywhere tho and then are kinda like a pebble I only find em by the rivers but they do look kinda workable why I was wondering,as far as the pics none of those are what I'd think are artifacts just rocks and just wondering what they were called if they have a name or no..i definitely have alot of work to learn flakes n types of tools I'm working on that tho I'm still somewhat green..but I really do appreciate your constructive responses,maybe not always what I wanna hear but it's true and polite and I appreciate that.thanks again ky

Comment

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              You did nothing wrong by posting your question as you did. Unfortunately there is almost no way to identify most material like that when it is water worn and most likely stained as well. My advice to you is to crack a few open and look at the internal structure. That will tell you far more than the outer shell will. Please though, don't post any pictures of these rocks / pebbles once you open them up. I seriously doubt that anyone here is really interested in broken rocks that have zero context with worked lithics.

If I knew your region I would help you out. I don't think there was anything wrong with your post, and I think learning the local lithics will help you spot artifacts in the dirt. Keep it up, it will come together for you.

Some of those might not be usable materials. First one appears to be a flake. Wish I could tell you more.

Comment

The color could be stain picked up in Creek's and River's. Mineral's and other Thing's cause that around here. So what I'm saying is a Lithic/Material around there may become darker or change color's in The River.
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Welcome? 338 posts, you've been here a while asking the same questions about the same non specimens and artifacts over and over. I don't mean to be a horses ass but when are you going to take it upon yourself to at least try to figure it out? We are happy to help and Josh has gone out of his way for you ( a much more patient man than me ) but you are not listening or paying attention. To post these rocks and possible flakes or spalls and ask the same questions over and over doesn't change the results and posts like these really don't help others that want to learn. Focus on the real not just imagined and learn from that. Both Josh and Tam have given you good advice and information, use it to learn.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                  2ndoldman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Greg, my advice to you is to simply skip any of his posts. There is no gain for any of us watching the interplay between the two of you when there is nothing constructive going on.

Greg thanks for finally replying.1st this is the lithics section..2. I never states these were anything other than orange river pebbles and asked if they had a name. I really do appreciate any constructive help however in all honesty you are kinda being a horses ass.i don't believe in being mean to people.i don't appreciate it done to me so it doesnt make me feel warm n fuzzy to say that.i do look things up, my point is that basically u are stating that I'm wasting everyone time..but greg all your doing is wasting your and my time W comments like geez..all I ask is that everyone be polite and constructive and if that's not possible Greg then plz I don't need your help.your not helping me by bashing me.as momma said if ya ain't got nothing nice to say then nothing is better.leta help everyone feel welcome I see a lot of people come and go due to them not feeling welcome.ans this is why.if ya make people feel dumb then they won't wanna ask it's that simple folks.if your really interested inhelping people then cool but don't drag me down not cool..but hey man who am I in just someone who asks a question and gets bashed..if u have any other comments plz inbox me personally and leave it off the threads

Comment

Thanks josh I appreciate it. That's also helpful as its not something I've really thought about.thanks

Comment

• AndyinMO
                    AndyinMO commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those first three look like something from the mudstone category.

I'm sorry Worldman, my patience has worn thin. Please prove me wrong. Soon.

Comment

All good greg it happens to the best of us..im the way way sir..anyway I hope this restore some faith and I hope u have a great day everyone and greg..this is the best whole piece I've found.found it at the Winfield locks n dam near Charleston wv it's an Adena robbins I believe and made of kanawha black.

Comment

That is a sweet little point! Live the tip on it. You must be thrilled!
                      Child of the tides

Comment

Yeah found that few months back..live how they needled the tip I'd love to find a million more like it

Comment

Working...
                        X