Is this hornstone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this hornstone?

Breaking in the new category! I originally posted this in a question about a point I wanted info on, but figured this might get more visibility.
    I read that hornstone sometimes displays a ring pattern in it, but I don't see that on this point. However, this isn't always the case, and the color and patina seem to match pretty well.
    Is this point made of hornstone? The point came from Tennessee.

http://arrowheads.com/images/origina...f2a4d529da.jpg not found

http://arrowheads.com/images/origina...515922775d.jpg not found

If you can take a pic with a different backround, you might get the color more exact. It looks black and dark, but that may be the white backdrop.

Comment

CliffJ wrote:

If you can take a pic with a different backround, you might get the color more exact. It looks black and dark, but that may be the white backdrop.
        I will work on better pictures when I get home.  It was night when I took these, and despite my flash the house lighting cast a yellow tint to all of the pictures.  :laugh: Thanks!

Comment

Are these any better?

http://arrowheads.com/images/origina...dff8522c05.jpg not found

http://arrowheads.com/images/origina...19b8b61cc0.jpg not found

http://arrowheads.com/images/origina...6f9441bcd7.jpg not found

Comment

I would call that Dover, but then, I don't really collect a lot from TN. It may have its own name but it looks like brown Dover chert from the Ft Payne formation from TN.

Comment

You may be right Cliff... I am having a real hard time figuring it out...It does look like that and the area would be correct, as far as I know.

Comment

Adriel,
                It's the fact that there are thousands of lithic material types that make typing material difficult. There are sub-varieties and localized variants that would make any book on lithic types bigger than the phone book. Collectors should learn their regional/local types that they are finding, and if collecting out of the area, learn those rocks too. There are many exotic materials (sometimes defined as from 25+ miles away) that can easily fool a collector not familiar with the material.

Comment

I was a afraid of that.   I will keep looking but I am going to go with you based on your info on the formation.   I will check out other TN types and repost if something looks more promising.

Comment

Adriel,
                  A big Congratulations my friend on being selected as one of the 4 big winners for the point system contest! Missed seeing what the details were for this, but whatever they were no one is more deserving than you. I have enjoyed reading your posts and have learned much from the questions you ask.
                  I'm glad you posted this point...I have so many made from the same material and have often wondered what material was. I have been calling it brown chert...goes to show how much I know. LOL
                  jane

Comment

kyheadhunter wrote:

Adriel,
                    A big Congratulations my friend on being selected as one of the 4 big winners for the point system contest! Missed seeing what the details were for this, but whatever they were no one is more deserving than you. I have enjoyed reading your posts and have learned much from the questions you ask.
                    I'm glad you posted this point...I have so many made from the same material and have often wondered what material was. I have been calling it brown chert...goes to show how much I know. LOL
                    jane
                      Thanks Jane! :cheer: I was so upset that the weather got bad and I couldn't really fully get into this yet, that I bought a bunch of points (nameless lots) just to do research on them to increase my knowledge level.  :laugh: Aside from that Archaic Pennsylvania blade that I was given from my area (that is what got me into this).
                    I sure was surprised when I woke up this morning and saw that I made the list for the contest!  :woohoo:
                    Congrats to everyone else too!  :woohoo:

Comment

Yes...please, please, pleeeease forgive my manners...(I'm so embarrassed)  hmy:    I didn't mean to slight anyone by any means...Congratulations to all you lucky and deserving winners!

Comment

kyheadhunter wrote:

Yes...please, please, pleeeease forgive my manners...(I'm so embarrassed)  hmy:    I didn't mean to slight anyone by any means...Congratulations to all you lucky and deserving winners!
                          I'm sure no one thought that. 

Comment

I didn't feel slighted at all jane, It seems one has more ability to absorb knowledge by helping others find info. Thanks to Adriel and those questions and pics from all AH.com users I have learned quite a bit and I enjoy every minute of it when I have the time. I am certain we all love this hobby that is why we are here. Happy Holidays.

Comment

I agree with Cliff on this one Adriel, looks a little to dark to be hornstone. Hornstone usually has a lighter gray color to it and some time multicolored with a touch of tan. I am a big fan of hornstone because it is often used in one of my favorite point types the "Turkeytail" I have 6 of them in my collection, one in which I found and the rest I purchased, all of them are made from hornstone.

Comment

bill...I'm a big lover of the Turkeytails points as well. We have a few we have found...would love to see a pic of yours someday if you have the time.
                                jane

Comment

Working...
                              X