Various Lithics From Local Auctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various Lithics From Local Auctions

Over many years of attending local farm and estate auctions, I have acquired several non-Michigan lithic examples. Samples in the photo include Bayport, Flint Ridge, Hornstone, Burlington, and Hixton. Only 2 of the bifaces can be associated to finds in Michigan. The others I would attribute to historic movement with families to Michigan... perhaps in search of work, or a number of other reasons people and their artifacts are relocated from the states where actually found. As a reference, the Hixton biface (top row just right of center) is 4 3/4 inches long. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E1951 (1).JPG Views:	1 Size:	220.6 KB ID:	290982
    Last edited by Bayport; 03-16-2018, 02:45 PM.

Some really nice material for auction finds, I have always wondered about those sales.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Bayport
      Bayport commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Lots of road trips over the years resulted in nothing of interest. It was better 25 or more years ago, because the little out of the way auctions were not attended by many (or any) people interested in "Indian Stones." Seems like there is much more interest now and I suspect people send their really nice artifacts to the auction houses that combine on-site with on-line bidding.

Cool. What kind of flint is the bottom right one made out of?

Comment

• Bayport
      Bayport commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! The estate was from a man who was born in 1927, in Missouri. Lived there until WW2. After he was discharged he moved to Michigan. I suspect the material is from Missouri, perhaps an unevenly heat treated Burlington. Very pretty on the side pictured... very different, pinkish gray with one thin pink band lengthwise, on the other side.
      Last edited by Bayport; 03-16-2018, 05:27 PM.

Nice Group!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Bayport
      Bayport commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Say, does that bottom right piece look like a heat treated Burlington or some other MO chert to you?

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      It does look like H.T. Burlington. Not sure but resembles.

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Kind of resembles ft. Payne also.

That's a mighty fine variety of chert there Bayport. I particularly like the one Andy mentioned, lower right.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Bayport
      Bayport commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! That one has been one of my favorites for a long time.

Since y’all are gonna fight over that lower right one, I’ll take the center bottom one. 😇

these are some some beautiful pieces. Thanks for sharing.👍
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Bayport
      Bayport commented
      Editing a comment
      You are welcome and Thank you You have a good eye Jethro355! The bottom center piece is pretty thin, has good color, great secondary flaking, and is about as nice on the flip-side.

Wow, this is a post I will be looking at alot. I like em all!

Comment

• Bayport
      Bayport commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! That grouping did turn out nice...

Wow! You have a good eye for selecting some of the very best! Some folks here have hunted for decades & have never found one at the level you have amassed. Congrats!
    Deb
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Bayport
      Bayport commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! My style of "hunting" is admittedly different, but it did turn up some good pieces over a long time.

Nice group of blades Bayport! That Hixton is Purdy!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Bayport
      Bayport commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh! I Love that material too!

Thought I'd post another grouping, that turned out pretty well. It has several of the same examples, but substitutes Indiana Green, as well as my unknown chert type from a previous post. I thought y'all might like this pic. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E0355.JPG Views:	1 Size:	164.0 KB ID:	291070

Comment

You certainly have a fondness for blades! Beautiful.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• Bayport
        Bayport commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I do. Thanks

I like the story about the man from 1927 . I can only imagine what they found back then .

Comment

Very nice pieces you have there. Love them all! Keep sharing the history!

Comment

Very beautiful and colorful collection!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Awesome collection of artifacts.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
            X