Bowenite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowenite

My friend Jay sent me a beautiful piece of Bowenite. I used it to make a pendant. That was fun so I bought a twenty pound box of Bowenite. Now I have plenty of material to practice the biconal drilling method that Matt explained. The rocks are different shades of green. I cut some rough slabs to show the different colors. Some is translucent. On the fourth piece note that the green is translucent but the white is opaque.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowenite 1.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	299666 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowenite 2.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	299667 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowenite 3a.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	299668 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowenite 3b.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	299669 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowenite 4a.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	299670 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowenite 4b.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	299665
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Oh man I was gonna send you more! I got a bunch of steatite to send you too. It makes me glad to see your enjoying this stuff as much as I do. Right on my friend
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
      OnewiththewilD commented
      Editing a comment
      Ummm, I don’t know if the ancient people did, but I did.

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't remember seeing that pipe. Show me man.

• OnewiththewilD
      OnewiththewilD commented
      Editing a comment
      Umm, lol, I don’t post pics of them on the forum. 😉

Click image for larger version

Name:	B1253079-627B-4B42-900A-1855559FC8C9.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	299683 Click image for larger version

Name:	3B045991-7095-49BF-BC62-737306EE08E6.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	299682

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a cool pendant man. Did you use a stone drill?

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Bowenite sure is a cool rock. On my last piece the sky shot looks like a negative.

• OnewiththewilD
      OnewiththewilD commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I did use a stone drill, one that I made and hafted

Beautiful stone fellas! It reminds me of green opal.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Broken Arrow. It's quite soft but harder than soapstone.

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      What formation does it come from? Is it a high copper content that gives it the color?

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes you're right. It is a copper ore.

Nice workmanship out of you guys.
    South Dakota

Comment

Making pendants has been a little mini hobby of mine for awhile now. I often find little stones that wouldn’t be good for anything else but when I sand em down and even em out I can usually get something nice. Sometimes I leave it natural and just drill the hole. The bowenite I find is usually pretty crudded up from the ocean when I find it so it takes more work than the Steatite does to get something cool. And as you know now it’s a bit more solid than the steatite, good Chlorite is kinda in between the two on the hardness scale I’d say. How would you say the Bowenite I sent you compairs to the stuff you bought?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Jay, I'm not sure but I did get the impression that the new material was harder. Some of the rocks are harder than others.

Nice work, guys. Here is one of the better reference pages for Bowenite, including showing the places it can be found around the world. It was originally described by Rhode Island native, George Bowen, from specimens collected at Dexter Quarry, Limerock, RI. That quarry is no longer in operation. It was named by another Rhode Island geologist, James Dana. Its a semi-precious stone related to serpentine. The Maori of New Zealand made both weapons and jewelry from Bowenite. But it is not a copper ore to my knowledge.

Originally described from Dexter Quarry (Dexter Lime Quarry), Lime Rock, Lincoln, Providence Co., Rhode Island, USA.
      Rhode Island

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Charlie, I had read on the net that it was a copper ore. Just more misinformation.

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, Ron, I'll research that. I can't imagine how it would be, but have I been mistaken before? You bet! Just never heard that, and knowing how copper is mined and the rocks involved, I would be surprised. But I will research it deeper and see what I come up with. Having seen many raw pieces from RI, it just does not seem possible, but, like I said, I've been wrong in spades over the course of a lifetime.

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Charlie, I found the chemical formula and it had no Cu in it. You are right. That's why I said just more misinformation. I'm not sure it was clear what I meant.
        Last edited by Ron Kelley; 05-11-2018, 09:19 AM.

Jay do you have enough Steatite to make a pipe? I would be happy to pay shipping one some steatite if you have some to spare.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
        OnewiththewilD commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I do, good quality too. I went back to my brook spot a few weeks ago and loaded up on it.

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome thanks man

Now that is a beauty of a lithic ... when I first saw this thread I was like oh boy what’s coming ...
      Nice pendant .. between you and Johnny I need to open a store ..

Comment

Awesome material there! And way to get the most of it! Looking forward to seeing all the cool stuff that comes out of this thread! Thanks for sharing the great photos Ron!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I’m waiting to see what you make with the new stuff!

Comment

Working...
          X