For a friend of a friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a friend of a friend

a guy I work with has a buddy who lives right smack on one of the beach sites we all hunt around here. He found this point either on his property or the beach next to it, I was told “ he found it at his place” so I guess it could be either. The style and age of it look right for around here, but the material?! It’s got me scratching my head, I told him to get me better pics with something like a quarter in shot for reference but this is all I have to go off for now. I told him I’d look into it here on the site before I gave him any answers. So what do you’s think? Dare I say it reminds me of this pic of a Ramah chert blade? Click image for larger version  Name:	E9713AEC-910E-4DA1-AD7A-705B45882E55.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	98.9 KB ID:	300991
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

This is the closest I could find material wise
    Attached Files

Comment

Hmm, I confess I've never seen material quite like this. It must have been a challenge to work. Looks like something from the quartzite family?
      Child of the tides

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what it looks like...quartzite with some striation/inclusions.....very beautiful.👍

back light his point Jay I think it is Ramah Chert too.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I’m still waiting on better pics..

Comment

It has that waxy look to it like Ramah chert. I am pretty sure it was traded down through RI. I had a couple black triangles that I thought were Ramah.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Ok I finally got the better pics sent to me. Click image for larger version

Name:	CE4BEE3A-F1EF-4C00-B138-A97CE16AF078.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	306515 Click image for larger version

Name:	44559FFB-41B8-4D83-8FBC-A46EE03EED73.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	306516

Comment

It's a beautiful material, whatever it is. Here's a recurring thread on Ramah chert, which as we know is actually quartzite of the sugar quartz variety. I am not sure the point in question here has the correct sugar texture of Ramah, but I'm no authority....

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...58-ramah-chert

Click image for larger version  Name:	1BCD5139-3660-404B-8068-973F6455EA20-5659-000004370B952B65.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	118.1 KB ID:	306663

Click image for larger version  Name:	7E9F5282-BC1A-4D36-857F-3EDBB482F9C9-5659-00000437166A1898.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	306664
              Rhode Island

Comment

Maybe photos could be sent to Mike Gramly. Alan(clambellies) mentioned that Gramly is interested in its distribution. So maybe he could offer an opinion on this local piece. Jay, if you write me, I can give you Gramly's addy. Also, Hoss has yet to chime in on the new photos.
                Rhode Island

Comment

Right on! Thanks Charlie. You know I’ve yet to see this point in person myself, I’ve been getting the photos sent to me 2nd hand. It’s definitly not a variety of quartz or quartzite I’m used to seeing that’s for sure!

Comment

• CMD
                    CMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I doubt I've ever seen it, either.

Also, I'll bet nobody alive knows Ramah Chert better then Tim Rast. He works with it all the time. There is a link to his email addy at the very bottom of his blog page:

I found out a couple weeks ago that I got published in 2008! Lori brought me home a copy of the journal yesterday. My contribution is a pre...
                  Rhode Island

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
                    OnewiththewilD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love checking out his site,I look at it all the time. I aspire to have the skill level he has.
                Working...
                X