What Lithic is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Lithic is this?

I found this Hopewell yesterday, and I would like to know what kind of chert this is. I live at the Northern tip of Carter county Kentucky. It is slightly translucent. Hornstone? Carter cave chert?
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Looks like paoli to me . Don't think hornstone . When I think carter cave iam looking for something differnt., but still I think that's what it is. Sometimes called paoli, especially when it looks like that nice point you found

Comment

• JoshMathews
      JoshMathews commented
      Editing a comment
      Iam normally asking what it is , so just don't bet the farm on what it looks like to me.😊

My best guess would be a variation of Flintridge Flint from North of the Ohio. Paoli or Carter Cave has quite a bit of variances also so I wouldn't completely rule them out, and I'm sure there are some other materials that are shades of grey/white in the area...I would find chalcedony like materials in central KY that were very similar to what your showing. Given your location though I think Flintridge would probably be most likely. Just my guess, maybe Paul or one of our Ohio members could tell us if this is in the variation of Flintridge?
    Last edited by Kyflintguy; 07-11-2018, 05:14 PM.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you may be onto something. Check out my post at the bottom.

Look at it with a magnfier is there any tiny circles almost bubbles they call them oolites they are a psuedo fossil within the matrix of some cherts. I think I see some in the lower part of your point. It could be Haney Chert. Then again a point in hand might look like something all together different than in a picture.
    Last edited by Hoss; 07-11-2018, 02:37 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't see anything when I look with my magnifier. I took a picture on a black background. Lets see if that helps.

Dang Good call Hoss, Im not up on Haney Chert but looks like a dead ringer. Found in Carter county too.

For those folks interested in archaeology and/or geology you no doubt have considered the flint (called chert by geologists) that all th...
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Nice point! Seems all I hear about lately is how good Kentucky is for arrowhead collectors, and would love to make a trip down there sometime!

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        You will love it! This is my first, but I know a few other collectors who go out into fields, or creek, and haul in some goodies. What makes our region special, in my opinion is the variety of chert we have. Hornstone, Carter cave, Flint ridge, the list goes on. That's why I started this topic.

This helped me Matt . I looked up oolites and it took me to a world of information on sedimentary rocks I was asking you about . Really good call .

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flint Ridge Four.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	312061 Click image for larger version

Name:	hopewellclermont1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	312062 Click image for larger version

Name:	roymillerheatedflakeslarge.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	312063

OK, I get it. The heat treated flint ridge chert is wild, and does not look anything like mine. But untreated pieces, and pieces with a lot of blues and grays in it do look a lot like my arrowhead. I think it may be un-heat treated (if there is such a thing) flint ridge chert point. Haney chert can't be it unless it can come without the oolites. Other cherts just don't look like mine.Any suggestions?
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
        X