Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important: If you have these materials...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important: If you have these materials...

Hello guys. For a month now, I have been trying to identify a certain lithic on an artifact I found. So far we have had good guesses, but nothing that I thought was definitely it. The photos I am finding on the internet are not helping, so if you have these lithics, please post with a picture. Describe where you found it. Any and all pics are welcome. Here are the lithics I am looking for:

Haney chert
    Flint Ridge chert
    Bangor chert
    Carter Cave chert
    Hornstone
    Paloi chert
    Any chert that is bluish gray.

Important! Even if you see an example of lithic that you were going to post that is already up on this topic, please post anyway. I need as many examples as possible.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

im sorry,i didnt see your original post.
    could you post a pic of it again and i will give it my best guess
    i have knapped many different lithics and may be able to help

there are a couple of different varieties of flint ridge,also a couple of different varieties of hornstone and lots of different bluish grey ones

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Your pics are below. For some weird reason, it looks bluish gray outdoors, but indoors it just looks gray. It is also translucent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0504.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	312111 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0511.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	312112

Comment

thats going to be a tough one to identify the lithic material on
      it looks to be heavily patinaed(sp?)

i dont recomend doing it,but you would have to remove a flake to see the true color of the lithic

where was it found?

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think it looks very patinaed. I am not good at judging that. As for popping a flake, I would rather jump off a cliff. It was found on the side of a newly dug pond on my property about 300 yards from my house. For the full story, check out my topic (My killer first point!) in the show and tell section.

Hi Kentucky, I feel like It could be possible that Point is made of A Missouri Material. Probably isn't, but It look's quite a bit like a good grade Burlington or Crescent Quarry chert. It's not usually bluish grey though, more whitish. It is a Beauty whatever The material is.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        A little out on a limb, I am afraid.

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh it travel's.

The blue showing through is probably indicative of the darker material underneath the Patina. I see you seem to have ruled out Haney Chert because you don't see any ooliths. I'm not convinced there aren't some ooliths showing in that material albeit very small ones. I found a source that shows Haney to be very similar to what your showing here. Flintridge would be the next closest Imo but it's not quite a perfect fit there either. Let me see if I can find the pic of Haney Chert that Matt originally suggested.

For those folks interested in archaeology and/or geology you no doubt have considered the flint (called chert by geologists) that all th...

Here's there example of Haney Chert. Looks spot on to yours and I can make out tiny ooliths in the material. I think I see a few in yours too.

Name:	download.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	312156
      Last edited by Kyflintguy; 08-06-2018, 07:19 PM.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I took a 10x lens to it, and I could only find one possible oolite. I believe you guys know what you are talking about though. It may be one of those that do not have any ooliths in them. I believe what you are seeing is tiny spots of impurities or scratches filled with dirt.

I will add I don't think Bangor or Hornstone are in the running here on this one.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I don’t even think it’s an artifact. Just a pointy rock. You should probably mail it to me and I’ll discard it for you.

😇
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha Ha. I just happen to like pointy rocks. :-)

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        I had to try....

Is it transluscent?

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        yes. I will post a pic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0891.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	312275

This photo shows it's translucency.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0893.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.7 KB ID:	312276
      This photo shows the cool flaking pattern it has.

Comment

It looks like it was resharpened, which almost gave it a serrated edge....which is very cool.

i say that knowing less than zero about knapping....
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

to see through any patina follow Tom Clarks instruction in the following link. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...thic-artefacts
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            It sounds like an OK idea, I am just very leary of doing it. Have you ever done it to your personal finds?

Tom you out did yourself on this . I actually have a knife in mineral oil . I’ll show the before and after .

Comment

I found these two pieces in Auglaize County, Ohio. Not sure of lithic, but could be close to yours?

Comment

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              Sadly, they are just too yellowish gray for my liking. They are very nice points though!

I believe I found it! Searching through the internet, I found this piece of chert called Wyandotte chert. It is very dark blue, but if you look at the gray colored area, it matches my point almost exactly. Could it be patinaed Wyandotte chert?

Name:	image_7772.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	312608

Comment

Working...
            X