Cool nodule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool nodule

I found this beautiful nodule today. Not sure of the chert type but it is very glass/obsidian like (admittedly damp in pics, but not much duller when dry) only translucent pink/gray with white veins running through it. Strangely reminiscent of the beef tenderloins I used to cut up when I was a butcher while in collage. I'm assuming it was a lithic core, not sure about that thought but looks like percussion bulbs and a few clean wacks taken out of it. I wish I had found an artifact made from those flakes, but unfortunately...this is the most exciting thing I have found in weeks. After a nice hot streak, I have been getting skunked again.
    Central Ohio

im not sure what it is,location would help to id it

looks decent enough though,i would hit it and see how it works

Comment

Hey Flint guy that's nice material.....I woulda kept it too...I found a point June 1st and another one August 4th....so I go out last Thursday in 7 foot high corn and spend 3 hrs bent over walk-in thru the rows after torrential rain and rivers running thru the rows. .....I wake up two days later and my lower back hurts like crazy.....3 days later and starting to feel OK today ....unreal I got hurt lookin for arrowheads...haha....keep hunting man ...Red from Connecticut
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Sorry, found in central ohio.
        Central Ohio

Comment

I picked up two today that were just like that. We got em all over the place around here. Seriously, identical! Those cobbles were a popular lithic source around here, judging by the fact that I find them whole and busted open on every site I step foot in. If you knock off that patinated surface, the material underneath will probably be a lighter shade like a bluish grey. The good ones have a nice solid structure but some of them have fissures and vugs in them that makes them not want to break very well and they tend to shatter when they have fissures in them. The material reminds me of agatized dolomite. Glaciers deposited cobbles like that all over the east central U.S. and when the giant bodies of water that were built up behind them burst forth, near the end of the LGM it put them in every creek bed from southern Illinois to south central Arkansas and maybe even further than that.
          Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• flintguy
            flintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Stagger, thanks for the info on the nodule, I think you are right about the true color being a blue gray, the one I found looks like it was stained a little red by the iron in the water. Also, I wondered why only a few big flakes were taken off and then it was dumped. If it had a tendency to shatter then that explains it. I have not run across one until now, but I will keep an eye out.
        Working...
        X