Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Local Auction

Possible Knife River Flint (KRF)?

The auction house near me has artifacts maybe once every couple of years, and those pieces have been very nice. Yesterday's Auction was no exception, with only one Ziploc bag containing 5 pretty dinged-up pieces. The large translucent biface caught my interest, so I stayed to see what the Ziploc would go for. The crowd was small... consisting of people (probably antique dealers) interested in bronzes, paintings, old furniture, etc. Unfortunately, there was no clear provenance for the pictured piece. Fortunately, no other artifact collectors were there, so the Ziploc bag was mine for less than the cost of a tank of gas for my vehicle.

Based on my previous reading and study, the piece looked like a well used KRF knife. I hesitate to speculate on the period it is from. All thoughts on material, etc., are welcome.

Nice score. If not krf maybe Tx stuff. Idk

Comment

where was the Auction?
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Bayport
        Bayport commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Chase... the auction was in Grand Ledge, Michigan. Another example of how artifacts move around with families now. Usually I see material from mid-west states such as Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc. My last purchase at that auction was in 2014 That was.the copper celt I previously posted.

Looks like KRF Just a little out of the area.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Bayport
        Bayport commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! More than a little out of the distribution area, but I'm no longer surprised at the variety of flint or chert types I run across at local auctions. Probably moves down thru a family and from state to state, until the current owner sells. By then, the artifact's history is lost... a shame! I wish I knew more about this one.

Originally posted by Bayport View Post
      Possible Knife River Flint (KRF)?

Based on my previous reading and study, the piece looked like a well used KRF knife. I hesitate to speculate on the period it is from. All thoughts on material, etc., are welcome.
      I agree with your assessment and would say you got one heck of a good deal.
      Knives of that size made of beautiful translucent KRF are seldom seen in collections.

Comment

• Bayport
        Bayport commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much for taking your time to help me with this. I just read a 200+ page paper on KRF and its distribution in Montana, that discusses UV fluorescence for KRF identification. I think I have an old UV light bulb from back in the 70's. If I can find it... I'll give that a try. Also, if you would like my high resolution pics, I'll be happy you send them to you, but it would probably have to be via email. Is there a way to privately message your contact info?
        Last edited by Bayport; 09-17-2018, 05:54 PM.

• 11KBP
        11KBP commented
        Editing a comment
        I also agree with what Chase posted, “Looks like KRF Just a little out of the area.”

It is not unusual to find KRF 500-600 miles from its source but considering the distance to Grand Ledge, Michigan does make a person wonder how it managed to travel that far.

For a little extra info on KRF here is a link to a post I made about five years ago.

Last edited by 11KBP; 09-17-2018, 04:43 PM.

• Bayport
        Bayport commented
        Editing a comment
        I doubt this piece was here via prehistoric movement. I have seen other small KRF pieces at auctions in Michigan, but they were from estates where the artifacts had been inherited from family that lived in the core distribution states for KRF. One auction I went to last year had a piece with the base missing, from South Dakota. I think this piece falls into that sort of category. Thanks for the link! I am always interested in learning more about lithics.
    Working...
    X