Georgia lithics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia lithics

Looking at Chuck's flabbergasted series has kept me entertained the past two weeks. They also gave me an urge to dig around in a pile of random lithic debris. Just kidding on the last part. Anyways, I was going through my collection of flakes from Georgia, and found some colorful examples. I think one is a thumb scraper. One is definitely the broken tip off of a blade. I remember that one. I dug in the sand as far as I could go, but I couldn't find the other piece. Back to the point that I am trying to get at. Does anybody know what material this is?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1369.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	326974

While we're at it, can we ID the big biface-blade thingie?

Name:	DSC_1374.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	326975
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

This thing too.

Name:	DSC_1064.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	326977

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      2nd one looks like a Fort Ancient triangle. They really took time on their pottery but their points........ most to me they were in a hurry to make them. I find all periods and Mississippian types. I still keep every one I find.

I'll have to work on that first one KP but the second looks to be a Triangle point. What does the cross section look like from the base? Is the base beveled ? What do you think it is?? I really like those flakes you initially posted particularly the pinkish ones - Wonder if they could be Jasper?
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Coastal plain chert, Allendale formation Brier Creek variant. The little triangle could be a Hamilton, Madison, but a lot of those are put into the Mississippian arrow point category. The Mississippian points may be a little smaller
      Last edited by willjo; 10-20-2018, 05:35 PM.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I have heard of coastal plain chert. Glad to have a sample from the great state of GA!

Originally posted by Scorpion68 View Post
      I'll have to work on that first one KP but the second looks to be a Triangle point. What does the cross section look like from the base? Is the base beveled ? What do you think it is?? I really like those flakes you initially posted particularly the pinkish ones - Wonder if they could be Jasper?
      When I said about ID'ing the points, I meant the material. Personally, I think the triangle is a pineallas. (I don't think I spelled that right.) I will post the cross section anyway.

Comment

Hey Ethan, That's some nice Coastal Plain Chert and Johnny knows.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Mostly heat treated Coastal Plains...... bottom left brick looking material is interesting!
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

• Broken Arrow
            Broken Arrow commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought so too, Tom. Looks like some Rhyolite.

Go to show and tell . Flakes for days idk my phone won’t post but I have literally buckets of coastal plain , heat treated Burlington , jasper , quartzites . It’s a lithic dream .
          I think I call it somthing like that .

Comment

Working...
          X