Ohio Flint Ridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio Flint Ridge

I was asked about some Flint Ridge material and here is some pieces of it that has Crystal inclusions and sometimes hard to knap over them although if I was a better knapper I might solve this problem. A small Flint Ridge point I made with the material with some flakes off it with the inclusions. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6141.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	327653
    South East Ga. Twin City

Hey Johnny, I bought some flint ridge and it had a lot of inclusions and separations.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That's a nice point ya got there! Almost looks like a Snyders. I haven't found crystal pockets yet in anything I knapped, but I found some chalk pockets. I think gremlins stick those flaws in a killer looking piece just for laughs. Speaking of flint ridge, I just bought a spall. You will see something from me soon!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That's some nice colorful material and good example of inclusions....I like that point .,..good post Willjo
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Always learning here . Great post Johnny

Comment

Flint Ridge is widely considered some of the nicest flint in North America. It has been found as far down south as Mississippi. Artifact hunting here in central Ohio I find some of the most amazing colors of heat treated flint in the fields. It ranges from oranges, to pink, to white, and even purple. Sometimes all these colors can be found in one point or tool. Interestingly though I prefer Upper Mercer Flint also known as Coshocton flint over Flint Ridge.

Comment

Maybe I will go to Flint Ridge and post some pictures for everyone here if anyone would be interested...

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, that would be awesome!
            Working...
            X