No announcement yet.

Show me a example of Chert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am also confused about the term "chert".  The local source here is called a chert.  But I have found it with layers of moss agate, so is it really an agate, and they just call it chert???

Comment

Hopefully Cliff is already working on it..I wonder now what isnt chert?...Seems like agate wouldnt be,Or petrified wood..

Comment

Here is photo of Kremmling/ Troublesome chert.  I have found this same chert with layers of moss agate.  Could it be part of the agate family?  Some of it is glossy and translucent, and some are a milky white.  The bottom left point has both of those attributes.  The bulls eye in the center near the base is glossy and translucent, and the rest of the point is milky white.  If you Google "Kremmling or Troublesome chert" one of the first articles is about the recently discovered Clovis cache in Boulder, CO.

Comment

This Harrell is  black beauty made of black chert. It was found in the Big Bend region of Texas.
          Jack

Comment

Very Nice..That Area has already caught my attention as its not really far away.However to hunt legally as i do and the way i do.Having problems finding legal spots.I studied satellite photographs and check out areas online to hunt legal like.I dont know about the lake legally as its huge and I have a bayliner..Seems like lucky finds and friendly land owners is the only way to go...This area getting tough to hunt...so i go next state over..NM

Comment

That troublesome chert?..very strong in quartz..

Comment

I hunt the Big Bend area mostly the Terlinguia Ranch area. Lots of Perdize in the area.

Comment

What you are seeing is mineral deposits not quartz.

Comment

Very Nice Gatherings..I have to say Good job for sure!

Comment

Heres if you can see the similarities in your Harrells..heres some from one site in NM..shucks cant download.I will work on..

Comment

No picture. Would love to see one.

Comment

ok i moved it around in my files this is onsite.. One days gatherings.

Comment

Greywolf, I've been looking at some of your stuff and they are Beautiful. On the Harrell black beauty made of black chert, what kind of condition are these things in when you find them and what do you use to make them look so good?
                            I am really uneducated when it comes to arrowheads and all of this stuff but it fascinates me to see it. What do you mean by "Harrell"?

Comment

I tell you what guys... I may or may not learn to recognize chert when this thread's all said and done but one things for sure...I have gotten to see some of the most awesome points -and- other rare finds from everyone. Hope your keep the pictures coming.
                                jane  :unsure:

Comment

Steve
                                The artifacts you see were found in the condition you see them. The dirt has been removed with water, but other than that, nothing else is done.
                                Jack

Comment

Working...
                                X