"Calcareous chert leached out to a very light, porous condition"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Calcareous chert leached out to a very light, porous condition"

An experienced Cayuga County/Finger Lakes NY collector's memoirs refers to "impure calcareous chert leached out to a very light, porous condition" found in one of his artifacts. The attached photo shows a celt in another local collection that I was privileged to hold: this celt is so smooth....and so remarkably light in weight .....Wow! I was shocked!

It is so light, it feels like it is made of balsa wood! Could the imperfections observable in photos be calcium carbonate nodules.... which over thousands of years in an acidic environment - like our local swamp land - have substantially leached away/ dissolved? This local collection actually has two artifacts with this type of lithic. Very cool.
    Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Very nice ! Looks like incisement on it ! Oops did I say that ? My new theory on incised stones is animal claw incisions on stones..... JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	341949 Yes it definitely has leached away a lot of lesser grade material, even deep into the material. Thanks for this post. Another example of severe deterioration of chert. Like the point I found last week....all the work gone and a lot of material leached off. Light and porous.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
      X