Buckskin Chert Plates from Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckskin Chert Plates from Texas

The Buckskin Chert Plates come from the hill country of Texas. The Plates are very thin and flat.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	342194 Click image for larger version

Name:	2b.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	342192 Click image for larger version

Name:	3a.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	342196 Click image for larger version

Name:	3b.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	342193 Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	342195 Click image for larger version

Name:	1b.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	342191
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Man I would pass right by that and never know of the beautiful rock inside . Cool post Ron
    SW Connecticut

Comment

i love that material,one of my fav texas lithics
      my main rock dealer when he gets that stuff he puts it all aside just for me.
      the black variety is the best

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	342208 That is killer! Great info about material. We have something similar here....we call it "ledge flint" or tabular chert. In this case it's baybottom chert, fossiliferous. Always dark grey, black, brown. These lenses are always thin like yours and the crust is limerocky but never smooth, always rough. Every one of these were checked in ancient days for suitability...and probably found lacking. Need a knapper. Preform is from same site, recent damage is glossier.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Wow! That nice chert, inside that rough rock? That's pretty cool. Does chert always come with a rough "skin"?
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• sneakygroundbuzzard
            sneakygroundbuzzard commented
            Editing a comment
            not all chert has a rough skin(cortex),some is very smooth,some is chalky,some is very thick,some very thin

Looks like what we used to call Steinite back in the day (named for Paul Stein, one of the godfathers of Texas knapping). Paul had a super-secret source somewhere in the Hill Country. Great material, raw or heated.

Comment

Nice stuff Ron. Makes me want to check some of the slabs in the local formations around here.
            Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Andrew, The plates are fun to knapp. I can make a good sized knife in a lot less time than starting with a round rock. There is less debatage using the plates as well.

• Broken Arrow
              Broken Arrow commented
              Editing a comment
              I bet it is alot easier. To my knowledge, the chert around here in the local formations is mostly modular but I do know where some stuff cleaved in slabs. I'll have to try it. I do know where some agate veins are though but most of it is pretty crumbly

Cool stuff Ron, that Chert is made ready to Knapp! I envy those Texas folks lol.
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
            X