Some California Obsidian pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some California Obsidian pics

A few years back I took a trip out to Ca to visit a good friend. I got in a few artifact hunts, and was amazed by the amount of raw obsidian and debitage that I saw. The first 3 pics are from Lake Bridgeport that was in a severe drought stage. The vast, then dry lake bed was covered with obsidian chips, chunks and flakes. It had been previously very picked over but I did find a nice flake knife / tool. Currently, the lake is full and those exposed areas are deep under water. Next we went out to Panum Crater in the Mono Lake region. The sides of the volcanic cone are covered with huge blocks of obsidian. There was a lot of debitage scattered around, the N/A's obviously used this site. The large obsidian block in the foreground of the last picture is about the size of a washing machine. Very interesting place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a a a bridgeport a.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	350450 Click image for larger version

Name:	a a a bridgeport c.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	350451 Click image for larger version

Name:	a a a bridgeport d.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	350452 Click image for larger version

Name:	a a a panum a.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	350453 Click image for larger version

Name:	a a a panum b.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	350454 Click image for larger version

Name:	a a a panum c.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	350455 Click image for larger version

Name:	a a a panum d.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	350456

Hey Alan, Beautiful area and great pictures. That looks like a flintknappers paradise.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Wow that' great! Did you get cut?
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• clambellies
        clambellies commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually I did. Ha! I got stabbed a few times also when I filled my pockets with chips and bent over

Thanks for taking us along
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

On a trip a few years earlier I found this broken tip while hiking up at an elevation of 10,500 in the Virginia Lakes region. The side that was exposed to the wind & UV is quite weathered, the other side is beautiful and glassy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cali point a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	172.0 KB ID:	350640 Click image for larger version  Name:	cali point c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	147.5 KB ID:	350641
        Last edited by clambellies; 02-17-2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

That looks like a beautiful place to hunt artifacts
          South Dakota

Comment

Great photos I know that area and have hunted there with Artifact Jack . You might have seen our tracks around Bridgeport lake lol .

Comment

• clambellies
              clambellies commented
              Editing a comment
              We did see a couple of people in the distance on quads, they seemed to stop and hunt here and there. When the lake basin was dry that seemed to be a good way to cover ground. I hope to get back there next year.

• south fork
              south fork commented
              Editing a comment
              Quads are a great way to cover a lot of ground on dry lake beds . Drive real slow until you spot a blow were the wind uncovers a lot of flakes of material and start looking . Once in awhile a nice point or blade will be laying where you can spot it right from the seat of you quad .

One thing that makes me a little crazy is that my good friend, who owns a house on Bridgeport Lake, and a cabin up in the mountains nearby that also has artifacts around it doesn't really have too much interest in searching for them. He's found a few nice things but not when actually searching for them. He has only a casual interest in them.

Comment

Greetings from Carson City! That whole area down there is just full of some amazing stuff, I'm very fortunate to live within a casual drive from the area and I suggest anyone interested in taking a trip stops thinking about it and goes. Truly amazing what you find laying around in that area without even having to really look.

Comment

Working...
              X