Chert quarries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chert quarries

I have been hunting over the years around many quarries which some are close together.But what I find odd is the distribution of the quarries. They are localized. And when you find the other quarry lithics it's almost always an artifact. There are three quarries with in 40 miles of each other, windy ridge quartzite Kremling chert and table top chert. It is so pronounced that a river on one side is one quarry and the other is a different quarry and your looking at maybe two hundred yards the campsites can have lithics from over 300 miles from their quarries but little trade for the close by quarries. Any thoughts as to why?
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

I’m gonna have to think about that.
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve got the Theory ! It’s the Mr. Haney theory from the sitcom, Green Acres !!!

I have a sites that have trout creek alibates chert Kremling chert tiger chert obsidian windy ridge chert. And a few other lithics. That site I get for the ways the cherts got to that location from the various quarries

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Well Chase, let’s sort this out. If it were Mr. Haney, he would load up anything and everything that anyone might want! Now, he was not opposed to barter , or picking things up for trade along the way. His intent was to sell/ trade everything he had, before going back to re-stock! As with any salesperson , if on the return trip there were items of interest to those near home, well let’s just say he would not miss a opportunity ! Just good business ! I try to find humor in every situation !
      So, The Haney Theory !

I guess that would make sense but it sounds kind of Haney to me.

Comment

Originally posted by chase View Post
    I have been hunting over the years around many quarries which some are close together.But what I find odd is the distribution of the quarries. They are localized. And when you find the other quarry lithics it's almost always an artifact. There are three quarries with in 40 miles of each other, windy ridge quartzite Kremling chert and table top chert. It is so pronounced that a river on one side is one quarry and the other is a different quarry and your looking at maybe two hundred yards the campsites can have lithics from over 300 miles from their quarries but little trade for the close by quarries. Any thoughts as to why?
    It is not unusual to find artifacts at a quarry that are made from distant quarries. However, those artifacts are generally getting close to or at the end of their useful lives and were discarded.
    There is no point in carrying around the weight of mostly used up weapons or tools when everything can be updated during the current quarry visit.

Comment

Originally posted by 11KBP View Post

It is not unusual to find artifacts at a quarry that are made from distant quarries. However, those artifacts are generally getting close to or at the end of their useful lives and were discarded.
      There is no point in carrying around the weight of mostly used up weapons or tools when everything can be updated during the current quarry visit.
      11KBP I get that part of hauling stone is not an easy task and from the quarries most is reduced for travel. But what I dont get is the separation. you get trade with quarries many miles away. but with in a 40 mile radius you get that? I would have thought that with by proxy this would be less defined. especially when you find other lithic further out. I know that if you have a lithic source closer and of equal material than dont transport. but I know in chert beds you have high grade and lesser grade. I have a site that has the predominate source 70 miles away with a closer quarry of easy travel thirty miles away it has obsidian from speculation new mexico and it holds IMO four

Comment

I’m not entirely sure I understand the question, but what I think I’m reading, is that there are two different campsites within 200 yards, and each has their own quarry close. What you find are either mainly artifacts from the Quarry near that campsite, or artifacts from a much farther away quarry, but not too many artifacts from the quarry that is maybe 200 yards or maybe even that third quarry you were talking about. ? So if I’m correct in these assumptions, then my theory is that the two closer campsites weren’t occupied at the same time, by different groups that would actually trade. Campsite A made artifacts from quarry A and traded with tribes from much farther away. Campsite B, which is 200 yards from campsite A, made artifacts from campsite B or else traded lithics from much farther away. They didn’t trade with A, because no one lived at A, and why walk clear over to A quarry when B quarry was right there? But when people from Campsite C. 200 miles away, came visiting, trade away.
        I have no idea what I just said, and of course I’m just thinking out loud anyway. It’s my theory, providing my initial assumption is correct.
        South Dakota

Comment

Working...
        X