Hornstone Nodules / Cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornstone Nodules / Cores

The rock sitting on the bar stool is an 85 pound hornstone nodule. Ancient spalls were removed from the entire surface. I kept this core because this is an unusual way to spall a nodule.

The rock in the gif file is a hornstone nodule that was first split nearly in half from end to end. Then spalls were removed. This is the common way that the ancient people spalled a large nodule. I continued the spalling process and used this one to knap points and knives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	85 Pound Core KY Hornstone c.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	353587

Name:	Core-2aa.gif
Views:	280
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	353588
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

There is no blue showing. The hornstone is on the inside? Do you think the tool that Jim Bee found has knappable material inside? It is a very interesting piece.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Ethan, The ten pound rock that Jim Bee showed had many spalls removed. Spalling is part of the knapping process. That rock would not flake as easily as some of my favorite lithics but it is certainly knappable.

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Ethan, The nodule in the gif file had many ancient spalls removed. The longest of those ancient spalls was over nine inches long. The exterior of the nodule in the gif file is covered with an ancient patina: The entire cortex had been removed through the spalling process.

Unusual. Is right . Are you able to make large blades?...from the one in gif file?.that's s good example thanks for showing these Ron ....cool
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Red, In the pictures below you can see how I used that nodule.

These pictures are from the nodule in the gif file. The ancient knapper had split the nodule in half giving me a good flat platform. I used this flat area (platform) to strike and remove large spall.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lg Spall.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	353659

Name:	Lg Spall 2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	353663
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 02-28-2019, 04:58 AM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I can't wait for you to use that!

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Ethan, These are old pictures. I used that nodule to make many knives and points.

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron just wondering how you work raw rock. I guess its all about control and precision

Hey Ron, How do you think the spalls were removed from the bar stool example - hammer & chisel? It does seem odd not to work from an edge. Could they have used heat?
    Last edited by Olden; 02-28-2019, 07:19 AM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Dan, That's a mystery to me. I have spalled many nodules but never like that. A hardstone chisel and hammer sounds likely.

That was my guess too, possibly a chisel and mallet type setup and bopping spalls off of them ridges left by the last spall removale. It looks pretty weather worn so it’s hard to tell from the pic where their points of impact hit. Awesome chunk of material too!
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jay, It must have been a hundred pounds before they started spalling it. My other large hornstone nodules have been about a third that weight.

Interesting Ron , good example for a cross over what that guy posted the other day and we were saying chopper .

Comment

Originally posted by Olden View Post
      Hey Ron, How do you think the spalls were removed from the bar stool example - hammer & chisel? It does seem odd not to work from an edge. Could they have used heat?
      Here is a picture of the blocks in the wall near the pool in our apartment building. I think they used a pretty heavy mallet and a chisel to get it started, and then just worked edges popping off the flakes until they got the surface they were looking for. The workmanship reminds me of your big nodule where there are some deep "clam shell" flakes that don't really look to have a percussion point. I think the force goes in, and comes back up popping off a potbellied flake.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Stone.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	353783
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• SDhunter
        SDhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I sent you a PM

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Holly Molly
    Working...
    X