local materials from Northern Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• local materials from Northern Colorado

The following photos are of material quarried here in Grand County.  The first is of different colored "Table Mountain Jasper".  The second is of local "Basalt" from the North end of the county.  The third are various colors of quartzite, it is quarried on the West end of the county and it's called "Windy Ridge quartzite".

Good to see regional material. The yellow tan looking material looks like Elizabethan Jasper. I had an Eden made out of it that I sold to Dr. Gross. Sure wish I had it back.
    Jack

Comment

I'm sure it's all about the same with different names per region.  Table Mountain is a formation that is only found in a couple mile radius just North of my home.  It comes in so many different colors, everything from browns and yellows, to shades of orange and I've even found green and blue streaks in it.  Out of all of my finds, Jasper only represents a small portion of them.  Which surprises me because I find so many flakes all over our county, but only a few complete points or tools.   That is a screamer of a point!  Looks like more quality Jasper than what we find here though.

Comment

Very Interesting and Nice..

Comment

Ive got one from your area you might enjoy..it is red and yellow jasper paleo meserve baker coa 8.. Oh my flash reacting again to the materials..not like its for sale though.

Comment

That looks a lot like what we find here.  Who knows?  Could have come from my area.  Do you know what county?

Comment

No i dont and theres lots of countys there..I assume its northern colorado as other areas are different materials like agates and such..I appreciated your post on these materials..thanks..

Comment

It's tough to tell, we have many different materials here, agates as well.  And who knows where it was carried or traded from?   Nice piece either way!  Cool to know the material may have come from my area tho.

Comment

Working...
                X