Odd lithic from Central Massachusetts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd lithic from Central Massachusetts

About 30 years ago I found a nice Stark point made of an unusual lithic. I had never seen this material before, at this site or on any of the many other sites along the river's valley, or anywhere else in Mass, for that matter. I had showed it to many people but no one could identify it for me. There were veins of a green, almost quartz-like material running through a matrix of other material. Over the years I found three large chips of this material, each about the size of a quarter that had been worked into biface tools. Yesterday while hunting the site I found a large block of the material that looked like a core or a chopper. It exactly matches the material that the Stark point is made of. All of my finds came from about the same section of the large site. Do I dare wonder if my Stark point came from this core? My pictures don't do the material justice, but the Stark is an exact match for the core. When I have time, I'm going to try to find a local Geologist to show these to.

Click image for larger version  Name:	green stone e.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.2 KB ID:	386982 Click image for larger version  Name:	green stone a.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.1 KB ID:	386983 Click image for larger version  Name:	green stone d.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	386984 Click image for larger version  Name:	green stone b.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	386985 Click image for larger version  Name:	green stone g.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	386986 Click image for larger version  Name:	green stone f.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.3 KB ID:	386987
    Last edited by clambellies; 08-22-2019, 07:40 PM.

Beautiful lithic. Wonder how far it has traveled?
    Be cool if that point did come from that chunk.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Sure looks like the same rock...cool post
      SW Connecticut

Comment

I vote "match".
        I keep odd flakes in my site trays. I will look the next time I have them out but I dont think I have ever found anything even close to similar in eastern MA

Comment

Maine Rhyolite?
          New Jersey

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            My son-in-law today said I should go to RA (Rocks Anonymous). This addict says Rhyolite, and she wants it real bad...

In a few weeks I hope to show this material to a geologist and I'll update this thread then.

Comment

A lot of stone and minerals were deposited across the northern states at the end of the Pleistocene as glaciers receded material that had been picked up and dragged was left in it's path. That material could source anywhere north of your find spot. That is an awesome discovery. A beautiful find and it looks like a match to me as well.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Looks like you found the momma rock there, Clambellies. That’s really cool, because that is some unusual lithic for sure.
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Was just thinking, and please fellas forgive me if consider analogy inappropriate. Years ago, found very, very expensive suit jacket. Material, tailoring, fit.... all exquisite. Was on super-sale coz been separated from other half, skirt. Worked place Wall Street where actually told what to wear, and in what colors! Only suits under draconian code, whether man or woman, so knew beautiful jacket never coming outta closet. But, appreciation and incredible price made me consumer-zombie. Two years later, was at close-out store in clothing district, and there it was: The Skirt! Super-super-super sale. We went home, and the three of us lived happily together for many years...

This Newbie’s ability to greatly appreciate beauty, craftsmanship, utilitarianism, plus more, now turned to all things artifactual. I consider possibility you actually found Mama to your Baby rarer, sweeter occurrence. I am a wordsmith, and the eloquent words of the month for you are serendipity and synchronicity.
                Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
                X