Paleo Pink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo Pink

These are made from Narbona Pass Chert - also known as "Paleo Pink". The stone comes from Narbona Pass in Northern New Mexico. It shows up down here in Southern New Mexico - usually on paleo sites and is also found in Colorado.
    The little Clovis point I purchased and was found in Colorado. The other pieces are personal finds. The narrow scraper was found on a Clovis site and the broken base - which might be the base to a Cody knife - was found on a site where Clovis, Folsom, and Cody artifacts have been found. I start paying attention when flakes of this stone appear - it is usually a good indication of Paleo activity in the area.

That is some high quality stone not to have more patina on it than that. I have one Clovis that does not have much patina on it either and one that has so much it looks like some of stone has deteriorated. Really nice finds.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      The reason for little or no patination is because of the expansion and contraction of the sand in NM. It is in reality all desert now. Unless a artifact is in contact with caliche here, most points and other artifacts will always look polished...

A couple more pictures of the little Clovis - one showing the more patinated side and the other the transluency :

Click image for larger version

Name:	034.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	390843 Click image for larger version

Name:	033.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	390844

Comment

I find it here too. Why did you buy the paleo point ? Did you not post a base of a Folsom base that you found some six months ago or so ? There are sooo many artifacts in NM with many, many paleo..I’m not sure why you post these finds and don’t stick around for Q&A.. Anyway, great finds. JJ
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I bought the Clovis because I recognized it as being made from Narbona Pass chert.

There are about four months down here where it is too hot - 100 + degress usually - to be out hunting so my activity here falls off during that time.

Glad to respond to any questions......

And please share any artifacts from this chert that you have found. Thanks !

Comment

Ok makes sense..... I know it’s hot, my son and I are getting ready to go to Hackberry, east of Carlsbad. It’s on the top end of the Pecos River. 55,000 acres of riding and such...
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Here are another couple artifacts made from this stone. These were found by my collecting buddy Jim who passed away in Feb of this year.

This first one is a broken and salvaged Clovis :

Name:	IMG_1240.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	390947 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1241.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	390948

Then a little Folsom in the center of this next picture from an opaque piece :

Name:	IMG_1247.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	390949

Comment

Nice Paleo’s in that last pic. That Pink is beautiful stuff. Those pieces your friend found are Almost tangerine. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Ocra, I enjoy seeing your paleo material. Beautiful stuff!
                Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

That’s a beautiful material, and I liked the artifacts as well.
                  South Dakota

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_66519.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	391092 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_66520.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	391093 I recovered this broken drill in Saguache County CO at an elev of 9500 ft. I have always kept an eye out for its lithic origin. I think it matches well with this Narbona flint you have shown, your comment is welcome.
                    Hard to capture the color but it is pinkish and tangerine in certain lighting.

Last edited by Rio Del Norte; 09-10-2019, 03:41 PM.
                    San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

:Could be - I have not visited Narbona Pass and seen the variety of this chert.

Here is Jeb Taylor's page on Narbona Pass Chert :

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	391105
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Rio Del Norte
                        Rio Del Norte commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great info...wish I had the book too...