ID S.C. Material - Quartzite ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID S.C. Material - Quartzite ???

I have just a few Non Florida, Non Personal Finds. Anyone recognize this material? Types? I only know chert and coral LOL. This greenish/reddish one and this reddish one. I have no idea where they came from but probaly is East Coast. I either got them from Quigley..... they could be gifts from afar...or may have found them myself when I lived in the Piedmont of SC near a soapstone outcropping along a river. I forgot. This greenish/reddish one and this reddish one. The wider white one and the quartz (basically unifacial..) one were with those other two... I know quartz lol but the white one (missing ears aaaargh!) seems to be a similar material as the red and green ones, just white. Maybe from these "types" can know what the material is. Probably trade as I'm winnowing my collection.

The wih Click image for larger version  Name:	20190921_104849.jpg Views:	1 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	392979 Click image for larger version  Name:	20190921_105012.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.5 KB ID:	392981 Click image for larger version  Name:	20190921_105102.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	392980 Click image for larger version  Name:	QuartzNonFL (4).jpg Views:	1 Size:	40.6 KB ID:	392978
    Last edited by tomclark; 10-03-2019, 03:20 PM.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Very nice Tom they look like three quartzite's and a Quartz to me. I hunt the NC/SC Piedmont border though and find more Quartz then quartzite there. In my NC Mountain location more quartzite then Quartz. I would say definitely looking SC to me.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

looks like quartzite to me Tom nice looking points man.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thx Fellas. It's Members For the Win!
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          Tom we have that red quartzite in SW Georgia .

You’ve won too Tom !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Hey Tom, Those are all nice points. I agree with the other guys: Three quartzite and one quartz point. That quartz point is a real beauty.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Sugar quartz on the last one kind of in between quartz and quartzite
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Tom, I live in the SC piedmont and those look like the points i find. I have a red one too!
              South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                Josie, if you ever come cross the river thru Columbia Co, gotta stop and look thru just a few (hundred) of my quartzes, quartzites b/c still having hard time determining if flaked or not!

• Josie
                Josie commented
                Editing a comment
                Cecilia, I don't go across the river too much. But post away on the forum. There is lots of help on these forums. Quartz is difficult. I'm still a beginner but I will try to help you.

May I sing the Quartz Song now?...... no? Ok, will just say I Love Quartz!
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Hi Tom,

All of them look like quartz or quartzite from NC. It’s rare to find nice points made of the red quartzite. That stuff has to be a pain to work with. I have a precious few in my collection. That material shows up mostly in the foothills. I have a pile of it in my backyard for a future Koi Pond that came from Yadkin County NC.

Von

Comment

My wife's mother died recently up in Landrum SC. She was from Spartanburg. My wife returned with a baggie that contained a few points... Nobody has any idea where she got them or when. Nice that I got 'em... So I'll add them into this thread as I assume they are from the same region of NW S.C. The crystal one is sweet with tiny ear ding and so is the good old red clay infused Click image for larger version  Name:	SouthCarolina (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.3 KB ID:	395210 Click image for larger version  Name:	SouthCarolina (5).jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.6 KB ID:	395211 Click image for larger version  Name:	SouthCarolina (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	395212 side/corner? notched with tip ding. DINGS I SAY!
                  I think I'll keep them all now in a riker lol.
                  Last edited by tomclark; 10-03-2019, 03:08 PM.
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

Tom, you can’t misidentify hard ugly quartzite! Lol The guys are right: 3 quartzite, 1 quartz.
                    Child of the tides

Comment

Nice family heirloom Tom..those are cool
                      SW Connecticut

Comment

Sorry to hear about your MiL. I like the crystal piece.
                        South Carolina

Comment

Killer points brother!!

Comment

Working...
                          X