some kind of agate maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some kind of agate maybe?

found this little flake in southeast colorado and have no idea what it is. it is clear with alot of red "branches" throughout the piece. i have never seen anything like it.
    thanks for lookin -cole

Birdy
    It looks like what is known as red "plume" agate. There's a lot of it in Texas (notably Woodward Ranch) and the west of the state in general. I guess it also occurs in Arizona but if not it's certainly pretty enough to be transported or traded isn't it? The branches are natural mineral deposits.
    Painshill
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Painshill, just looked up the plume agate and that is no doubt what it is. one of my new favorite materials. thanks a bunch!
      -cole

Comment

You're welcome. I just googled it too and there seems to be a place in Arizona called "Bloody Basin" where material like that occurs and is named after the locality. Don't know if that is anywhere near you.
        Painshill
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

You're welcome. I just googled it too and there seems to be a place in Arizona called "Bloody Basin" where material like that occurs and is named after the locality. Don't know if that is anywhere near you.
          Painshill
            Sorry, I misread that you found it in Colorado... I had Arizona in my head. This may be nearer?

Comment

Working...
          X