Peck & Grind....on a Curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peck & Grind....on a Curve

I can picture a large flat rock covered with wet sand being used as a grinding platform to shape a celt....or an axe's bit end.....but how were curved surfaces formed? For example, the groove of a full grooved axe. How was that groove ground out; how was that material removed from the interior of that groove? Just want to make sure I understand and can explain that process. Thanks!
    Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

I've made a few full groove axes before, and I use either a small pointed hammerstone, or a thin hammerstone. I use a quartz hammerstone, though I'm sure materials were different for different areas. I'll see if I can get a picture.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Cmcramer
      Cmcramer commented
      Editing a comment
      Kp - so that's the PECK part of the process.....how do you GRIND that surface smooth and curved? I'm just picturing a curved bone tool or curved antler tool wearing out quickly as it was used to grind wet sand into a curved shape.
      Last edited by Cmcramer; 10-26-2019, 07:44 AM.

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Usually, I take the small, thin hammerstone, and grind it by hand. The stone has to be smooth, and small enough to fit in the groove.

There’s an interesting analysis based on modern replication published in the Journal of Lithic Studies here:

North American grooved-axe replication: A taphonomic experiment in central Connecticut

You can download as a pdf from this link:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
    X