Any idea what happened here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea what happened here?

Did it fire pop in half? Is that common if it did? Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_115840.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	420693 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_115810.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	420694 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_115804.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	420695 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_115823.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	420692

That doesn't look like a normal break... what's the material or where is it from? Some materials can have a chalky layer or seam that can erode away leaving an flat or even wrinkly surface, but that doesn't look like what you have there.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• ILLannoyReb
      ILLannoyReb commented
      Editing a comment
      I found it in Lawrence County Tennessee, I'm guessing on the material...Fort Payne maybe? Thanks for looking.

My thoughts are that at some point post manufacture it was altered by heat like you suggested. I have found worked chert that I believe was altered by heat to the point where it was no longer workable. One piece I found was sizable enough to take a whack at with a bopper, it bore smooth ancient flake scars on one side with a visible area that was similar to your find. When I hit it the inside looked very similar to what your showing and it would not flake as you would expect chert to. My only conclusion was the item had been heated to the point it made a once workable chert unusable...
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• ILLannoyReb
      ILLannoyReb commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting, thanks for chiming in and sharing your experience.

I agree it could be heat. I "heat-treated" some tiger chert to a high temperature and it ruined chert that could have been knapped without any heat. The tiger chert would not flake. I cooked some jasper that hadn't been dried long enough and pieces popped leaving a surface like you see on your artifact.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I’ve found lots of pieces at one particular shelter (L3) that has lots of chunks like you have there. These were busted or sourced out of an area near by or traded from surrounding areas and share characteristics like yours. You can see straight or jagged sides like yours has and I’m assuming it may have been sourced similarly to these pieces I have that might explain why it looks like that on one side.

Comment

Working...
      X