Northeast lithic experts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeast lithic experts?

I was exploring new stretches of shoreline looking for new sites this weekend and came across this boulder (small enough to lift but bigger than i could carry) that appeared to have eroded out of the bank. Unlike the glacial and surf rounded rocks that dominate the area, this one rock had angular faces that clearly looked like pieces has been driven off. So on a hunch I picked up another rock and took a crack at it. The piece broke off very predictably with the “glassy” sound that good rhyolites have. I am by no means a knapper, but in just a minute or two i was able to easily work out a quick biface. I am 100% convinced that the boulder i found was utilized for stone tools. That being said, I am not sure i have ever seen this particular material before and i have been collecting locally for 20 years. The glaciers carried material here from all over the northeast so pretty much anything in in play. It is less grainy then the pictures suggest with a glassy shimmer and tone..... any ideas?

That looks really high quality to be rhyolite to me, but I'm certainly not a Northeast expert. Almost looks like good quartzite.

And that's pretty decent work for not being a knapper, you've got a decent biface there that's already pretty thin with a decent edge.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

It doesnt look like any rhyolite that I am familiar with either and you are correct in that it does look like a super fine grained quartzite. However, my knapping attempts have been far less successful anytime I have tried messing around with quartzite in the past.

Comment

Looks more like basalt to me.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I thought basalt too. This seemed more glossy than what I have seen in pictures of basalt, although i am sure a fresh break would look better. Is the patina consistent with basalt?

Comment

I think basalt too. We find it here all the time. I have no ideas as to where it was brought in from on the South Plains.
            The NA people loved the material ...
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Basalt patinates to brown it will form a weather rind over time.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I did some google-ing on my lunch break today, I am pretty sure Lindenmeier and Hoss nailed it. I found photos of freshly knapped basalt and other photos with weathered rind..... both matched my material exactly.
                I also remembered a broken point I found one inlet over from the boulder in question. I originally thought the material was a dark quartzite, but now Im left wondering if they arent related.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	base2.jpg Views:	3 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	372273

Comment

• Hoss
                  Hoss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That base looks like an early type. I love the lobes on it. Maybe a Hardaway/ Dalton The ones found in the Northeast differ from those found in the south.
              Working...
              X