Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blue Hills

The Blue Hills: Archaeological Wonder of Epic Proportions

"The Blue Hills are nothing short of an archaeological wonder of epic proportions. In 2012, I set out on a day-long hike in the Blue Hills Reservation with my wife, Jen, who is also an archaeologist. Utilizing the documents previously published regarding the location of outcrops of blue hills rhyolite, Braintree slate, and Massachusett hornfels, we sought out these locations to document and witness the natural environment of a Native Landscape. We were absolutely blown away.
    I have personally visited, excavated, and studied hundreds of Native archaeological sites throughout the east coast, and I have never experienced the types of intact Native landscapes that can be found in the Blue Hills. I do not mean intact as in undeveloped, but intact meaning the actual experience is similar today as it was in the past."
    Rhode Island

Good read Charlie, sounds like a very special place indeed. Very interesting about the geology that created those outcrops. Lithic resources is a subject I've taken a liking to maybe more than many of the other aspects of collecting. These type places are invaluable to understanding the past. Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome, Josh. I share your interest. I hope to visit the area some day, it's not far at all.

The story reminded me of Three Rivers NM. Although I can’t remember how long ago it was, my good friend and I were there to examine the pottery. There was a guy in a hole he’d dug, about 3’ deep. He was sitting in a hole made entirely of pottery shards. We walked around for about a hour, my friend was looking for a arrowhead . I was just walking and wondering. All painted pottery, I had no idea how deep the shards were. Eventually , I made it back to the pot hunter. He was very happy as he’d found what appeared to be a intact mug ! Now, the people there most prolly had not been there making pottery back 8K years, but who knows ? Instead of flint, we were walking on nothing but pottery...My friend actually found a true arrowhead ! It’s a fenced in park now, guarded. I suppose there is no walking on the heap anymore. So , I can relate to walking on the flint, in a different way. Thanks for bringing my memory back
    Doc !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool story!

Interesting read. I'm lucky to be able to hunt on Marthas Vineyard now and then and I'm akways amazed at the amount of Rhyolite & Felsite cobbles and boulders scattered about on the island. The Glaciers bulldozed the stuff out of the Blue Hills and pushed it down onto MV.

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Must be the case. I'm impressed by all the points from MV made from that. Mostly quartz and argillite over my way, I'd trade in a heartbeat.
Working...
X