knapable flint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knapable flint?

I found a few pieces of nice looking brown flint along the Llano River near Mason Texas last week. Was wondering if anyone could identify and is it good for knapping?

Chuck Click image for larger version

Name:	BE73B508-8A53-4F87-BCC0-049B25814EA3.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	430030 Click image for larger version

Name:	2E86A378-5F88-4962-BAB5-456EDDF99B0B.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	430031

Fayette County, southern Illinois

It is hard to identify knapable by photograph, you would have to hit the material with a knapping tool and see how it works. Looks like it breaks good but it may not be good material.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Whack it and try I live on a dirt road full of "bullrock" and when I see a piece that I like I bust it in the ditch and see if it'll work out in my short exp a rock such as the one in picture can be tough stuff I prefer finding the ones with limestone cortex. But it looks root beer like ....just beat it beat it beat it...👷

Comment

looks like someone already started knapping it,,why do you suppose they quit?
        Floridaboy.

Comment

• Charles Jones
          Charles Jones commented
          Editing a comment
          Tried to knock off a few flakes. Would come off as a round chuck leaving a bulls eye pattern. Got it to flake slightly by splitting in half and got a couple of flints for my flintlock rifle. Seems to spark really well.
      Working...
      X