Unique Lithic Material: Any Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique Lithic Material: Any Ideas?

No provenance, sorry to say. But it's pretty, and it's unique in my modest collection. Any ideas where this rock might have originated? Thanks!

Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

It could be a variety of Palmwood. Which as it sounds is a petrified wood from a palm tree. It's not common, but is found in Louisiana and East Texas.

There are some different stemmed types out there like Gary points that are occasionally made from Palmwood.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Without provenance it's difficult to identify the material but there is a variety of Onondaga that is off white to light gray with brown to black inclusions, it's not common. It may also be Lockport or Fossil Hill chert which I think originates in Ontario and may even be some form of glacial chert.
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        Good suggestions, those would certainly be closer to where the original poster is based.

That does have a strong Gary look to it. No idea about the lithic but my first impression was it sure looks like a Gary.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

If it originated from NY /New England, where I acquired it from an Old Timer's collection, and using Boudreau's Typology as a guide (page 46), I would say it is a Neville or Neville Variant, maybe a Stark but I'm leaning toward Neville Variant: "distinguished by the rounded termination of their stems."

Seems like this is one of those instances where the same point can be known by different names, depending on where it was found/produced. In any case, a cool looking point, and a mysterious lithic material!
        Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Comment

Working...
        X