Coshocton Chert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coshocton Chert

Is this Coshocton Chert? Buddy found this blade as a kid on my present day stompin grounds of east central Illinois. He's a Vietnam vet and one of my close friends. Beautiful piece of work. Any ID cultural classification would be nice too.

That piece is beautiful.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

It could be, I believe it's more common to have blue/white vines rather than brown, but not unheard of to have some coshocton with darker streaks. Does it have any small fossils in it? It's a bit far for it to get to Illinois, but the trade route out of Ohio definitely made it over there. Do you have anything locally that might look similar?
      Central Ohio

Comment

I personally have not seen this material around here. What is ironic is that I lived in Coshocton Ohio as a kid and found a small black point back in 1971. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Hoosier, if you could post a few more pics, maybe some close ups I can identify if it's Coshocton. Below is a link that may be helpful.

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...ton-chert-ohio
          Last edited by paohrocks; 04-18-2020, 07:33 AM.
          Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

That was the best pic he sent me. I'll try to get some better later.

Comment

Working...
            X