Help with material type please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with material type please

I find a lot of lithic flakes and a few points in San Juan County, Utah and would love to understand more about what materials I’m finding. But I’m new to this and feeling pretty overwhelmed with with all the possibilities and what the difference is between all the types of chert, agate, jasper, chalcedony, etc. I am so impressed with all the knowledge you all have and hoping you can point me in the right direction with some of the different material types I usually find. Here is example #1:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rachel512; 04-20-2020, 11:38 AM.

Jasper
    NW Georgia,

Comment

not Jasper..... Nice artifact..... Roger (Painshill) as written quite a bit on this in the Information center.... The look has more tendencies of organic as original substance. along the lines of petrified wood . JMO
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Rachel512
        Rachel512 commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool. We do see quite a bit of petrified wood around

• Rachel512
        Rachel512 commented
        Editing a comment
        Question. It was somewhat translucent on the edges. Can pet wood be translucent?

Info on Utah lithics isn't easy to come by. Can see it maybe pet wood or maybe Narbona Pass chert.
      I tried a google search and came up empty handed after four pages. If you do find a shareable source please share with us!
      Cool find though!
      Last edited by gregszybala; 04-20-2020, 05:59 PM.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Rachel512
        Rachel512 commented
        Editing a comment
        It really isn’t easy to come by. I agree, looks a little like both of those. Thank so much for trying!! Yes, if I find a good source for Utah lithics I’ll definitely share! Thanks 😊

Ah! Petrified wood can be petrified with jasper! Whatever minerals it’s got, it’s pretty, pretty, pretty. Looks like maybe petrified
      w/ jolly rancher! Click image for larger version  Name:	34F4C2CB-72A4-46EA-84A4-67D02F376496.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	446183
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        P.s. try geology.utah.gov
    Working...
    X