Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with material type please. Last one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with material type please. Last one.

I find a lot of lithic flakes and a few points in San Juan County, Utah and would love to understand more about what materials I’m finding. But I’m new to this and feeling pretty overwhelmed with with all the possibilities and what the difference is between all the types of chert, agate, jasper, chalcedony, etc. I am so impressed with all the knowledge you all have and hoping you can point me in the right direction with some of the different material types I usually find. Sorry for posting so many times. Last one for now haha!
    Attached Files

Ya doin great, relax. most of the folks didn’t get smart overnight,and there a lotta smarts on this forum, so ask away..Oh buy the way I don’t know squat about lithics from outta state, I’m a beginner also...chuckle, chuckle, chuckle.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Rachel512
      Rachel512 commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, thanks! Yeah, I tend to go all in and want to know everything all at once lol🤷🏼‍♀️ Loving this site 🙂

Learning about lithics is for me the best part of collecting artifacts. I'm still searching for info and usually find new facts about it on the net by looking up agate, jasper, chalcedony, etc and checking out geology/rocks/types and such. I like tools as they are larger specimens and easier to identify. Pic is of my larger pieces and I have mediums and small too.
    San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

• antmike915
      antmike915 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the material Rio, that red blade/tool or preform on the bottom right looks like some material and points I've found in North Alabama.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      O, Rio!……you been usin’ Miz Norte’s fingernail polish and buffer, huh?! Ok, maybe not Maybeline’s Red Devil, Blue Bird, Gold Nugget, but thick coat of mineral oil at least?..... Beautiful!

(My colors not even close, but backdrop looks just like mine— the ole-towel-kitchen-table/counter. Watch out for nearby garbage disposal, tho; I’ve been banned...)
      Last edited by Cecilia; 04-21-2020, 10:45 AM.

• Rio Del Norte
      Rio Del Norte commented
      Editing a comment
      Antmike, a nice preform of western red jasper.

check out Utah Statewide Archaeology society and the Utah Archaeology Journal. Hope it helps. Louie

Comment

• Rachel512
      Rachel512 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Will do!

I just remembered, Tom Clark did a fantastic post on southeast lithics awhile back, it might be in the lithics section , every thing you want to know.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Rachel512
      Rachel512 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! I’ll look for it! Thank you
Working...
X