Goldfield Jasper: Thanks to Bret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldfield Jasper: Thanks to Bret

Bret gave me a box full of Gold Field Jasper. I slabbed one of the bigger rocks today. I got 13 beautiful slabs. The first picture was an end cut. It was kinda thick and odd shaped so I took a few percussion flakes to thin it. I was surprised how well the raw rock flaked. I will cut preforms and cook it before knapping points. Many thanks Bret: This is some beautiful Jasper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	189 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	446329
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	148 Size:	173.2 KB ID:	446330
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	141 Size:	129.3 KB ID:	446331
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	141 Size:	132.3 KB ID:	446332
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	142 Size:	146.7 KB ID:	446334
    Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	142 Size:	140.4 KB ID:	446333
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 10-28-2020, 12:57 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

That is some outstanding material!
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Pretty pretty! Wow there's some good color in there!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Beautiful!
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Going to be some eye Candy on them when you are done
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Beautiful...How long does it take to make one cut, and how many cuts before you change blades??
            Floridaboy.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Hal, The drive moves about an inch every five minutes. I have been using this 16" blade for three years. Occasionally I have to dress the blade with a dressing stone. The slab saw is oil cooled and I have to replace the oil every year.

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Hal, Tom gave me some Central Florida Agatized Coral. I slabbed it and heat treated it. Beautiful Florida Coral.

Ron ,that is some good looking rock , puget sound knappers site says to heat it to 375 degrees ,but i go anywhere from 375 to 425 degrees and i hold it there for about 4 hours start out at 200 degrees for about 4 to 6 hours then raise the temp 50 degrees per hour then after holding for 4 to 6 hours step the temp down 50 degrees per hour.
            Wyoming

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Bret, That's exactly what I needed. For those relatively low temps I will use my big cast iron pot filled with sand. The big quantity of sand really helps to achieve a gradual temperature change.

Sounds like a science experiment that’s been perfected....awesome! Beautiful stone...then again, I’m biased as my fav is Jasper anyway ..... make sure you post some pics after the heat transformation....would love to see it
            Southern Connecticut

Comment

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Chris, The heat treat will be interesting. There is some evidence that the ancient people put the spalls in a shallow hole and covered them with two to four inches of sand. Then they built a small fire on top. That certainly would provide a gradual change in temperature. I'm always interested in what they knew.

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Truly, the People learned and knew so much. Some of our basic present-day meds known to them; willow tree (bark, I think) predecessor aspirin.

That is beautiful material. Can't wait to see the outcome.
            South Carolina

Comment

Wow, amazing material.
              🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Golly Moses, Wowie Zowie, Gee Whiz, and all my other stupid exclamations! The rock-hound in me drooling....
                Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Wow. So beautiful 😍

Comment

Working...
                  X