NC Color Quartz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC Color Quartz

Here are two frames of points fro my region, along the Roanoke River. The Middle Archaic loved this lithic as it was almost the only available close by. This lithic came primarily out of quartz river cobbles, which come from clear to yellow to red. You can pick up a cobble of the clear, and despite the rind or cortex being opaque, you can see light through the cobbles.
    These are in a lighted case, and then in one of the double glass cases I made to hang in my windows.

Well sir...I gotta tell ya how much that blows me away!  They used what they had and they used it admirably!  Awesome, Cliff.  Just beautiful, precious artifacts, displayed for viewing and realizing the full effect of their impressiveness!!!

Comment

Incredible display Cliff. That big blade bottom center is really nice.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Those are some pretty cool artifacts and like Ray said.....that blade is awesome. Very interesting idea with the double glass for display in a window....unique, very good!
        Southern Connecticut

Comment

Wow! Cliff, that's nice! Love the lighted frame! Colors are great!

Comment

Very Nice points and display. That big blade looks killer. The plow loved to find those around here.

Comment

very nice, what a great idea window frames! almost like being in church, i did an alarm system for some old ladys that were into stained glass windows they had bandaids on most of there fingers and they made homemade brandy i left that job with a smile on my face, your stright up cliff, i like you,,,twoshovel

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I do love that color quartz.
                Here's a pic of the big knife. It was found about 30 feet from me in a plowed field by a old walking friend, and it took many years to get it in my collection. It is over 5 1/2" long and very thin and well-made for quartz. Most that have examined it have called it a Paleo knife.

Comment

Awesome frames Cliff. Did you make those frames or does someone sell them? I have tons of quartz and when I get settled in the next year I can see some of my points going into frames like those with the back lighting.
                  Thanks for sharing
                  Hoss
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Matt,
                       As far as I know, I'm the only one making those lighted frames. I make all of my frames except the 12X18" which are cheaper to buy at $20 each in bulk than I can make them in my shop. I make lighted frames, the double glass frames, plus smaller deep custom frames and the 18" X 32" inlaid walnut frames that I use for bigger displays.
                       You can take a 12X18, knock the plywood out of the back, then silicone a piece of glass in its place. Then, fill the box up tight with bubble wrap until it holds your points in place. You can hang those as I do on a screw on the top of the bottom sash of any window with light coming in.

Comment

CliffJ wrote:

Thanks for all the comments. I do love that color quartz.
                      Here's a pic of the big knife. It was found about 30 feet from me in a plowed field by a old walking friend, and it took many years to get it in my collection. It is over 5 1/2" long and very thin and well-made for quartz. Most that have examined it have called it a Paleo knife.
                        A TREASURE, surviving the test of time.  So awesome is your Paleo knife.
                      Pam

Comment

Thanks for the tip Cliff and I like what Pam just said about your blade. That is a fine point and they don't often come up that big.
                        Hoss
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

You are quite the handy dandy guy! I am putting "handy guy like Cliff" in my #24 spot for "things to look for in a long-term husband"!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X