Orthoquartzites- MD & VA Coastal Plain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orthoquartzites- MD & VA Coastal Plain

Tertiary orthoquartzites occur along the Potomac and Patuxent rivers and were a favored lithic material of the Paleoindians and Early Archaic people. The samples that I found from the Paleocene (Aquia Fmt) and the Eocene (Nanjemoy Fmt), of indurated sandstone contained abundant, dark green, glauconite minerals; which aren’t seen in the worked lithics.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	NanjemoywDroppedFairhavenZac.jpg Views:	68 Size:	204.0 KB ID:	451029
    Dr. Zac Singer pointing at slumped over Bed 2 OQ (white blocks)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	MioceneOrthoquartzitePoint.jpg Views:	36 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	451030 Click image for larger version  Name:	BifucatePAXOQ.jpg Views:	38 Size:	160.2 KB ID:	451031
    Points & Comparison
    However the Miocene, (Fairhaven Mbr) orthoquartzite matches up fairly well with some points dating to early Archaic usage. With its angular sand grains, lack of glauconite, and tan opaline matrix it’s a good match.

Click image for larger version  Name:	OQMiocenePAXAA.jpg Views:	36 Size:	213.7 KB ID:	451032
    E. Archaic Point and Comparison
    This lense occurs as Bed 2 in the Fairhaven Member; of the Miocene age Calvert Formation, along the Patuxent. In historical times the diatomaceous sediment above this OQ ledge, and the glauconitic Eocene sands below it, were both quarried for different purposes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pectenhumphreysii.jpg Views:	36 Size:	104.8 KB ID:	451033
    Pecten humphreysii E. Miocene Index Fossil
    The Bed 2 layer has the Miocene scallop, age indicator fossil Pecten humphreysii, which confirms it is of early Miocene age. After meeting archeologists, Dr. Singer, A. Chisholm, S. Sharpe & M. Johnson who share a fascination with the OQ, I put a lot more foot and boat work into mapping its extent. It ranges from about Lower Marlboro on the Patuxent River upstream to about Lyon’s Creek. On the Potomac River it did not show up at the Miocene age equivalent outcrops at Pope’s Creek. If time allows, hopefully the pros will be able to further map out the geographic distribution of curated points made from this Fairhaxen Mbr. Orthoquartzite.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PaleoOQ.jpg Views:	39 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	451034
    Missing Outcrop
    So far I haven’t found an outcrop of the OQ variant that perfectly matches the Paleo used material, which has a creamy white matrix and larger angular sand grains, and sometimes even small pebbles within it. Some samples even lean towards a breccia with chunks of sandstone contained in them. My thinking is this material has a source near Fredericksburg, VA, an area of high energy faults and volcanism in the distant past.

(Three of the better pictures are from Dr. Singer)

Last edited by MondoLithic; 05-05-2020, 07:13 AM.
    Coastal Plain of Maryland

Great post and thanks for sharing this info but your eyes are freaking me out!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Very interesting. I have a Lamoka type point from CT that looks like it could be this material. I will have to dig it out and take some photos next time I am back at my mountain home. Thanks for sharing the info and welcome to the site.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Lot's of interesting info, well presented. The Quartz-heads will enjoy this.

Nice artifacts too. Thanks
        California

Comment

Thanks Gentlemen. And Hoss there is similar material found up to mid-New Jersey, the Cohansey and Cuesta OQ, not too far away from CT.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	BifurcateOpal2.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	451333
          My Bifurcate
          And except for the edge of the bifurcate shown before, all other points shown are property of the state.

Name:	EastnWestOQ.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	451334 Left Top Side up, West side of Patuxent, Right is Bottom Side up Showing Burrows, East side of River

Additionally, the Patuxent Fairhaven OQ differs greatly in preservation from the east side of the river to the west. On the east side it's a thin lense and on the bottom there are burrows from the ghost shrimp Callianassa. On the west side it's a thick ledge, darker in color, and the burrows aren't silicified, but the burrows are in the outcrops as unconsolidated clays.

Name:	1stRavine.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	451335
          Ravine Ledge in Side Walls Too

Name:	1stRavineUnderside.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	451336
          Ravine Ledge Underside Showing Index Fossil Scallop
          So far I've found outcrops in ravines, and also where the material has been transported away to the banks of a nearby tributary, for possible movement along the waterway? There is also at least one quarry, unfortunately it looks to have been mined historically.

None the less, it's all a fun mystery to puzzle out, especially when you get to bounce ideas off the pros.

Comment

Good info....that's a really cool bifurcate. And the shot ofthe scallop.....is cool too
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Thanks for sharing info. Sounds like a fun adventure searching for lithic sources to match points. Cheers!
              North Central Kentucky

Comment

Thanks much. The aboriginals liked the fossil scallops so much that they collected and moved them upstream. The one in the first post was found at an archaeological site 8 miles upriver. And the only thing more fun, might be finding more points to match the lithics.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	TopSlabs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.6 KB ID:	451685
                A Couple of Large Slabs at the Top of the Quarry edge

If anyone wants to explore the area D. Linthicum's map of the area is a phenomenal resource, though it isn't shown well in the link below.

Comment

Interesting. That the scallops are found that far upriver... I'm in SW Connecticut and I have only found one fossil...a thumb sized horn Coral that hadda be dropped by a glacier. Or transported by an Aboriginal..from upstate Hudson River .... Keep hunting them points sir!
                  SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                  X