Variety of Flint Ridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variety of Flint Ridge?

This is a piece of chert I found the other day. Is it a variety of FR?

Pam,
      It probably is a variety of Flint Ridge, maybe Nethers variety. You are evidently sitting on or near a FR quarry. What county are you hunting in?

Comment

CliffJ wrote:

Pam,
        It probably is a variety of Flint Ridge, maybe Nethers variety. You are evidently sitting on or near a FR quarry. What county are you hunting in?
        I do live, near, a Flint Ridge quarry.  I am appx. 10-15 miles South of Flint Ridge State Park.  This is located in Licking County, OH.  Anyway, it is my opinion that I am hunting a workshop area.  The area shows no evidence of being a quarry.  I believe the Native Americans transported the flint to the area where I am hunting.  There is a natural spring running through the property providing an excellent source of water.  I know where the material originated.  I just haven't found any that resembled this particular piece.  Thanks!
      Pam

Comment

Hi Pam
        I don't know if you are familiar with these maps from an information leaflet by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Geological Survey, authored by Garry Getz:

I only have the leaflet as a pdf file which won't attach here, but if you would like a copy let me know and I'll send it to your e-mail address.
        Painshill
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hi Roger.  I'm actually Southwest of Flint Ridge State Park.  The Southwest corner of the map on State Route 40 is my appx. location.  I head East toward Brownsville to reach my destination.  I only travel about 4-5 miles on 40, still quite a little way from Brownsville.  Might not even be that far, I've never really checked the mileage.  I'm not exactly one to venture too far from home.  I have a comfort zone when I leave the house...unless I'm traveling with another.  More so than not, it's just me, myself, and I. 
          I acquired similar maps when I took Connor to Flint Ridge last year.  That's where he learned how to use the atlatl.  He enjoyed our trip.  Good Golly!!!  The twists and turns in the roads are treacherous!!!  If you want to email the maps, I would greatly appreciate taking a look at them.   Should I gain the courage to drift a little further from home; might come in handy!  Thank you so much.
          Pam

Comment

My point in asking where you are finding this is illustrated by Roger's maps. There are many scattered sources of flint in the area. besides at FR State park. I was going to try to see if your area is listed among the sources in "Prehistoric Chert Types" by Deragnacourt. From what you said here, if you are in the SW corner of the last map, you are less than 2 miles from a source on this map. Of course, the map is not complete and other, smaller sources are no doubt there as well as those larger sources shown. Some smaller sources of flint will be depleted and all that is left is the debitage and a few broken tools.

Comment

CliffJ wrote:

My point in asking where you are finding this is illustrated by Roger's maps. There are many scattered sources of flint in the area. besides at FR State park. I was going to try to see if your area is listed among the sources in "Prehistoric Chert Types" by Deragnacourt. From what you said here, if you are in the SW corner of the last map, you are less than 2 miles from a source on this map. Of course, the map is not complete and other, smaller sources are no doubt there as well as those larger sources shown. Some smaller sources of flint will be depleted and all that is left is the debitage and a few broken tools.
                Hi Cliff.  I am completely aware of most of what you have mentioned above.  I realize that the area in which I live is rich in flint; not just at FR State Park.  The field I walk has produced every artifact I have found.  Most of what I have found came from appx. 1.5' to 2' under the ground.  The field was turned over last spring and the artifacts were in the sides of the dirt that had been turned.  The surface finds have most likely been picked clean over the years.  Sources of flint are abundant in the area and I have been fortunate enough to have brought home several nice pieces of Native American history.  I love what I do and I love what I find.  It hasn't been all debitage and broken tools. That's not to say that I haven't carried home an abundance of debitage though!

Comment

Okay Pam, I've hunted your area before, and found some nice pieces, so I know where you are! LOL I'm about 25 miles south of you, and yes, we are so fortunate to live in the location we do!!! Glad to know we're so close and have the same interest in preserving the Native American past!
                Paul

Comment

phbarnesjr wrote:

Okay Pam, I've hunted your area before, and found some nice pieces, so I know where you are! LOL I'm about 25 miles south of you, and yes, we are so fortunate to live in the location we do!!! Glad to know we're so close and have the same interest in preserving the Native American past!
                  Paul
                    Thanks, Paul.  If you're ever in the vicinity of the crossroads of State Rt. 13 and State Rt. 40, I work at National Trail Country Store that sits on the southeast corner.  Stop in and introduce yourself!  That would be awesome.  It's across from Jack Town Pub and what was previously Clark's restaurant, now a sport bar known as Crossroads. 
                  Yes, there are many artifacts to be found in the area.  I just got a late start searching for them! :laugh:
                  Pam

Comment

[QUOTE]roustabout149 wrote:

Originally posted by phbarnesjr post=45416
                    Paul
                      Thanks, Paul.  If you're ever in the vicinity of the crossroads of State Rt. 13 and State Rt. 40, I work at National Trail Country Store that sits on the southeast corner.  Stop in and introduce yourself!  That would be awesome.  It's across from Jack Town Pub and what was previously Clark's restaurant, now a sport bar known as Crossroads. 
                    Yes, there are many artifacts to be found in the area.  I just got a late start searching for them! :laugh:
                    Pam
                      I will surely do that sometime Pam, it would be nice to meet you too. Do you work weekdays only, and what are the store hours? Have a great day, Paul

Comment

[QUOTE]phbarnesjr wrote:

[quote=roustabout149 post=45417]
                      Originally posted by phbarnesjr post=45416
                      Paul
                      Pam
                        I will surely do that sometime Pam, it would be nice to meet you too. Do you work weekdays only, and what are the store hours? Have a great day, Paul
                        Mutual, Paul.  I work on Wednesday, 11:00-2:30, Thursday, 12:00-4:30, and Friday, 10:00-3:30.  Heading in shortly.  You have a good day also!  These rains have demolished surrounding areas.  Fortunate not to have been affected! 
                      Pam

Comment

I agree, you are very fortunate to live in such a lithic rich area.....I think what Cliff is saying is, and I agree,  don't limit yourself to that one field your hunting....especially IF it is an old quarry area that isn't recognized as such.....if you can expand your comfort zone you may thank us later. If you meet Paul and you guys "click" it may work out for both of you......good luck Pam!
                        Southern Connecticut

Comment

cgode wrote:

I agree, you are very fortunate to live in such a lithic rich area.....I think what Cliff is saying is, and I agree,  don't limit yourself to that one field your hunting....especially IF it is an old quarry area that isn't recognized as such.....if you can expand your comfort zone you may thank us later. If you meet Paul and you guys "click" it may work out for both of you......good luck Pam!
                            Thanks for the insight Chris.  Lotta if's.
                          Pam

Comment

Working...
                          X