Brassfield Chert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brassfield Chert?

Well, Glenn done went and called me out for not posting anything lately. I can’t have that (lol), so here we go. This is a pretty beat up pine-tree point with a chipped ear and tip damage. The point measures 2 1/4 inches long with a pronounced median ridge on one face and almost flat on the other. This is the only point I have, made of this material and I believe it to be heat treated Brassfield chert. Any thoughts on lithic would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Files
    North Central Kentucky

Well, looks like I lost a lot of photo quality with the up load...hmmm
    North Central Kentucky

Comment

That's a cool point ...even with damage!
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• KyChipStone
        KyChipStone commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Red....

Not sure where in Kentucky your located KY but Brassfield chert was quarried in Adams county Ohio and it's peak use came during the Ft. Ancient culture although it was used throughout prehistoric times. Most common color is cream to light yellow. It ranges from white or tan to darker brown. Heat treatment is prevalent in this chert and often adds reddish or pinkish hues to the primary yellowish or white color. Rarely does the entire artifact turn red after heat treatment. Munsell colors variable 10YR 8/2, N8, 5B 5/1. It may also be heat treated Bisher chert which also outcrops in Adams county and may also be Harrodsburg. Probably made this clear as mud now...
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• KyChipStone
        KyChipStone commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Pao. I believe Brassfield actually got its name from Brassfield Kentucky and the formations extend from Ohio down through Tennessee. I’m from north Central Kentucky and that is were I found this point. I was unaware about the pinkish/red color not normally enveloping the entire point.. Thanks for the info..

Well ty for posting some finds. I hope you noticed that was a plural statement 😃
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• KyChipStone
        KyChipStone commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol... I will do my best😁

Must be nice to have your wife? to help with the photos, does she charge by the hour?,lol..

,nice point...I looked up brassfield, they also showed a nodule that had tan, blue and a reddish color, I guess you find those in the creeks?, I need to learn how to get this copy up where it belongs,
      Floridaboy.

Comment

No creeks on these Hal. Found in plowed field along the river in north Central Kentucky...Thanks for looking..
        North Central Kentucky

Comment

Working...
        X