Purple Felsite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Felsite

This nice local Savannah River came to me at the mill this week with an out-of-work guy that needed some money. He was actually looking for a job but when he saw all my relic displays in the mill, he said he had some to sell that he and his Dad had found here in NC, in KY, and some they bought from the Funk Collection in PA in the 60s. I first made him an offer on the hundreds he brought back, but wound up getting just the 7 best pieces. This was the best NC relic he had.
    It is made of what I call purple felsite, a volcanic lithic with phenocrysts throughout. The material is from the Carolina Slate Belt, but it evidently is not prolific as there are not many purple felsite points found. This is the largest artifact I've ever seen made of it.

And...it's a beautiful point!  Love the material; it's different.  Is felsite a porous material?
    Very nice, Cliff

Comment

Wow, thats a Monster cliff! The material is a new on me too. Thanks for sharing.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

That is an awesome Point Cliff. Love that material too.    
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Wow that is a killer!   It's good to see that is from NC.  It's my favorite one I've seen on here so far too.

Comment

Very nice Cliff. First one of this type I have seen.
            Jack

Comment

Working...
            X