2 Strange materials I found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Strange materials I found

I found these two stones on my grandpa's land in Yadkin Co., NC. I have found some arrowheads on his land before, but I think these materials may be rare for this area or was brought here long ago by Indians. I know they look natural but what I'm wondering is if these 2 stones could possibly be working materials to make tools and arrowheads. One of the stones I can't classify, I think there may be some core material in it. The other one looks like red -and- yellow jasper. Some knowlegdeable opinions will be gladly appreciated.

They both may be jasper. The first has a very quartz-y look to it though. Both materials would be found in your region, and both look unworked and unused. Mostly they would have been using rhyolite and quartz in your area since it was readily available and knapped nicely.

Comment

Hmmm.  I met someone online from Hickory that said he came to the river and has found many jasper points.  I have never found any before though.  Finding quartz artifacts is my favorite thing to do and finding them whole can be hard sometimes.  If I could get a pile of sand from the river I think I could find quite a bit of artifacts, but it would still be hard to find a whole one.  I heard about a site, I call it "Limerock", up along the river from me that green chert (or something similar) can be found.  I live about 2 miles from the Donnaha site, you probably already heard about that Wake Forest students have uncovered camp sites there.  Also, I heard about a celt made of slate was found close by.  No one knew what it could be used for because it is a softer material, but I think it was used to chop corn stalks (my uneducated opinion).  I'm probably goin out to look around today since it just rained.  If I find something I will post it later.  I see alot postings on here and I think you are probably the knowlegdeable person i can get some insight from for my area.  Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X