This ones for Roustabout149

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This ones for Roustabout149

Pam, I know how you love the material around your area. I thought you enjoy looking at another part of the country's material. This was from my last outing. there is moss agate, banded agate(?), jasper's both brown and red, obsidian, petrified wood, quartsite in grey, red and brown, Also some sedimentary rocks but I am not a geologist and wont speculate on what they are. As far as the type's of material this is, this is what was told to me, so if I am wrong someone please correct me.

Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Nice spread of material there Chase.  Northwestern CO judging from all the banded oil shale agate.  That is my favorite material but I only have one scraper, I gotta find me a banded agate point one day!

Comment

Tyson, I know what you mean about that agate. Most likely you have found one, but just not with the bands. Here is one that was from this weekend. I still am looking for that point as well but have only found tools with the banding. It must be a hard material to work. My guess would be that the bands run all the way through the material, so breakage on the bands would be very likely. 

Comment

Ahhhh, John!  Yabba Dabba Doo!  Very awesome material!  When I scrolled down the screen the colors like to blinded me!  I was waiting for the 3D effect and anticipating the material to jump from the screen and into my lap! Wishful thinking.  Nice lithics you have shown.  Love it!
        Pam

Comment

This is a great topic of local killer materials. :cheer:
          I wish I had better pictures.  Mainly our thing here is real nice quality cherts and agatized coral.  We really don't have any other stone here.  Our agatized coral is like jasper, chalcedony and so many other materials.  I am addicted to the look and feel of "agate" in all it's forms!
          Heat treating really changes and brings out colors in chert and coral as it should in any agate/cryptocrystalline quartz

baybottom chert

"Pseudomorph after Coral" agatized coral

"Greasy Agate"

Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Wow, what a great array of lithics! I can only wish I had some of those materials here, very cool. Thanks for the show guys.
            Southern Connecticut

Comment

:unsure: SHOWOFFS, I live in the dull grey world of patinated rhyolite up here. Cliff J and shartis have cornered the market on colorful Carolina lithics.

Comment

That is a dandy Chase! Ya you're probably right, the shale banding makes it easily breakable at the bands. Here's the only banded piece I have found around here. I have seen other scrapers and tools banded, but no points.

Comment

Pam, I glad you enjoyed the lithics.
                  Wow! Tom, that is some sweet poinst and material.
                  Nice scraper Tyson, I have to admit it is one of my favorite materials next to Moss agate and heat treated agates.
                  Thanks all for looking.
                  Chase

Comment

chase wrote:

Pam, I glad you enjoyed the lithics.
                    Wow! Tom, that is some sweet poinst and material.
                    Nice scraper Tyson, I have to admit it is one of my favorite materials next to Moss agate and heat treated agates.
                    Thanks all for looking.
                    Chase
                    Chase, I do love lithics! Pictured are several pieces of what I am told is known as fire pop. Pink, Black, and wild!!! It's really fascinating!
                    Pam

Comment

Very nice collection. Gives you a nice look over.
                      Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X