First successful MA sift and question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First successful MA sift and question

Our town archaeologist suggested that I try sifting some soil on my MA property and I lucked out the first time with this quartz point! My land borders a river and marsh known for native habitation, but it was very heavily farmed since 1700 and this is only the 2nd complete point I’ve found here. Plenty of horticultural tools, hammers, scrapers, quartz flakes, etc..., but I’m holding out for an arrowhead stash! The soil was from an upturned tree along with these other items. Is it Diabase? Has a rusty aging over a dark tan color with tinges of green. If so, I didn't see it listed in Bourdreau's NE Typology and am wondering if they made arrowheads out of it, as I have shards of it all over the place.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bretton; 07-19-2020, 08:52 AM.

The quartz point is nice not sure on other stuff
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Thanks Willjo. Btw, I don’t think the other 2 are points, but wonder if they were worked. Hope someone can tell me what the material is.

Comment

I’m not sure what the fragmented rocks are, but they don’t looked worked. You have Boudreau’s expanded typology, I assume, and are comparing it to the rhyolites he included in his section on regional lithics, but I don’t recognize it. Doesn’t look like it would flake well.
        Rhode Island

Comment

• Bretton
          Bretton commented
          Editing a comment
          CMD, I just edited. I meant to ask if it was Diabase. Have you ever encountered that material in an artifact in RI?

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          No, I have not. And I honestly don’t know if it is diabase, or if diabase was used as a tool stone.

I completely agree on the flaking.

Comment

Good you found something on ur first sift. Congrats...that's a cool triangle...keep sifting
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Nice point! Any luck on typing it? As Boudreau writes... "Among the more difficult tasks for a typologist has been typing small stemmed points." I was thinking Madison at first but I am new to the "game".

Comment

My first impression was a Madison as well for what it’s worth. I also don’t recognize the other material and don’t have any artifacts made from it here in Connecticut.
              Southern Connecticut

Comment

Cgode and Oddball, thanks so much for responding! I couldn’t pinpoint the type and wondered if there might have been a stem I was missing. It does look like a Madison from Boudreau’s book and the measurements fit, but that type isn’t seen here much, more so in NY, from my research. I will be able to tell you the type, at some point, as 2 archaeologists are coming to my site and I will ask. It will be difficult for me to narrow down my questions for them, but I expect I will learn a lot !

Comment

Working...
                X