Question about burlington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about burlington

Does Burlington chert naturally occur with pink in it, or is that strictly from heat treatment? I have a piece that I believe to be an agate basin but it has some pink in it and it is making me question my typing of it. Everything other than the one little pink area seems right.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Area in question Click image for larger version

Name:	20200819_190017.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	480058
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

I think that could occur naturally, if it was near cortex some minerals may be responsible for the quality material and color, my thoughts others may have a better explanation.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        That was a thought of mine as well. I also thought could have been incidental heat treatment through maybe a forest fire at some point.

Looks like a field find the mineral deposits is the question? If so it looks like it might of come into contact with the farming equipment which causes the staining. I find it on cobblestones in the fields.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        No, the pink coloration is the question.

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Wondering about the frequency/possibility of pink coloration occurring naturally in Burlington.

Good question, I have a few pieces I’ve wondered about as well.
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        I feel like I've read somewhere that it can occur naturally but I cant remember where.

Iron deposits can make a natural red/pink color tone in chert without heat.
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        For sure. That was my thinking too.

In their book "Prehistoric Chert Types of the Midwest", DeRegnaucourt and Georgiady state that Burlington is highly variable with colors ranging from white to tan, brown, cream, yellows, oranges, reds, pink, dark brown, and even black. Guess it could show bits of about any color.
      Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        That is exactly where I read it but couldnt remember that source.

Hey Andrew, Burlington does sometimes have pink without being heat-treated. Also look at all the pink in keokuk which is a Burlington chert.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        That was my thinking too, just didnt want to lead anybody by posing the question with instances.

Andrew I always thought Burlington pink was from heat treating too . But if Ron says well that’s good enough for me .
      I wonder about rocks cooling that’s always on my mind and how that does play into it .

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        I had my own answer to the question, I was just wanting some reinforcement to it.
    Working...
    X