Found a tip Interesting material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a tip Interesting material

Hi all. I found this tip today. I find mostly quartz here but I am not sure what material this is.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5543.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	488074 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5542.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	488075 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5545.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	488076
    New York

That is an interesting material, might some type of chalcedony.
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

It looks like “moss agate” it has inclusions that remind me of and I think the plate form of makes hinge fractures like your tip has.
      N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

Nice little tip...I think that is a grade of quartz that falls in between quartz and chalcedony....I've heard it refered to as "bubble gum quartz"... here in Connecticut .......as a matter of fact I think it was Hoss's dad who used the term with my friends.....He was quite an authority on artifacts here in the Northeast....nice piece
        Last edited by redrocks; 09-18-2020, 06:46 PM.
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• Fat
          Fat commented
          Editing a comment
          Very good, I dont see the location but CT is completely out of my throwing range. Those NE pieces can be hard for me because broke quartz to you and broken quartz to me are completely different.

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Fat. I'm Red....Kaz found that tip on Long Island ...New York.. ..only 12 miles across.the ocean from us here in Connecticut....I love bubble gum quartz!!

Originally posted by redrocks View Post
        Nice little tip...I think that is a grade of quartz that falls in between quartz and chalcedony....I've heard it refered to as "bubble gum quartz"... here in Connecticut .......as a matter of fact I think it was Hoss's dad who used the term with my friends.....He was quite an authority on artifacts here in the Northeast....nice piece
        I have not heard that term since I bought a small Ct. collection that included these two pieces that were called bubble gum, or gum ball, something like that, Red. Kaz, here they are for comparison. They are remindful of chalcedony or moss agate.

Name:	5F46F343-1277-439D-A440-001CDDC24989.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	488228

Name:	0BC7EECE-92D2-40ED-B368-9D7348EE916A.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	488229

Rhode Island

Comment

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are nice examples of bubble gum quartz Charlie....I only have a couple. Flakes....glad I jarred your memory?!!

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          Red, it finally came back to me. The seller was Kevin Cordeiro of Ma., more knowledgeable than me at the time I bought them. He called it gum stone, but I’m sure Hoss’s dad would know better if he coined the term, which is pretty cool.

Really nice. That lithic is special. Even if they didn’t glow, I like the outline of the pieces.
        N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

That reminds me of a post on FB a while ago... Ramah Bay Chert maybe???

Comment

Working...
          X