Central Pa. Raw Lithics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Pa. Raw Lithics

I've been working on this post for you all for a few days. I hope it all comes through. First Pict. Burks Co. Jasper from Vira Cruze Jasper Quarries area. 2. Lancaster Co. Quartz, Rose, Milky, Pink, Banded Candy. 3. Chiquies Quartzite from Chiquies hill Columbia Pa. 4. Rhyolite, from Caledonia Pa. 5. Dauphin Co. Chert, from Dauphin Co. Pa. 6. Penns Creek Chert from Penns Creek, Snyder Co. Pa 7. Penns Creek Half White Chert from Penns Creek Pa. 8. Chalcedony, from various places in Pa. 9. Center Co. Jasper. Center Co. Pa. 10. Heidelberg Chert form various places. I hope you enjoy. If you have any questions, shoot away. Kim
    Last edited by Mattern; 10-08-2020, 07:32 PM. Reason: Addition
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Very informative post, thanks for the effort, The points are almost invisible against the rock, is heat treating a common practice, or no,?...you must have a heck of a rock garden,
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Center Co. Jasper.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	494659 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hidelburg Chert.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	494660 Continued, Kim

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        So what type is the black one with the triangle last photo.
        Last edited by SurfaceHunter; 10-08-2020, 07:55 PM.

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess its grey cortex but probably black underneath I find it to

Thank you Hal I appreciate that comment. And yes heat treating is common at least in Pa. Jasper turns red. Black chert gets Helicoils, Some Chalcedony turns different colors Although Heat treating makes the Lithic very brittle, it glasses the material and makes it easier to knapp. And gives a much sharper edge. I Believe they gave up strength for sharpness. Kim
      Last edited by Mattern; 10-08-2020, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Hey Kim ...good job on the PA lithics.. love the way u showed.the.points against the rock they came from .. good post man!
        Last edited by redrocks; 10-08-2020, 07:38 PM.
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Wonderful presentation! Lithic material is of prime fascination to me. On Cape Cod, materials are rather limited, though the beach cobbles offer plenty of materials not indigenous to the Cape land mass, which is simply a pile of sand- terminal moraine. What we don’t have much of at all, are fine grained igneous rocks, that are generally shiny, brilliant and varied colors, that flake beautifully. We have some jasper from Massachusetts and Chert from Maine or New York...but not much. Years ago, I was taken to a bend in the Ouachita River near Hot Springs, AR. The entire land area inside the river bend...maybe an acre, was nothing but magnificent flakes and cores from a Native American tool making site. It was several feet deep, of only the most beautiful, multi-colored, fine grained igneous rock flakes. There were countless cores that were nearly identical in shape and looked like a “step“ in a illustration of flint knapping projectile points. I was dressed in a business suit at the time, but filled my pockets, arms and a bag. I still have them and awe over their beauty and significance.

Comment

Great post, thanks!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by redrocks View Post
              Hey Kim ...good job on the PA lithics.. love the way u showed.the.points against the rock they came from .. good post man!
              Thank you Red!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatMarsh View Post
                Wonderful presentation! Lithic material is of prime fascination to me. On Cape Cod, materials are rather limited, though the beach cobbles offer plenty of materials not indigenous to the Cape land mass, which is simply a pile of sand- terminal moraine. What we don’t have much of at all, are fine grained igneous rocks, that are generally shiny, brilliant and varied colors, that flake beautifully. We have some jasper from Massachusetts and Chert from Maine or New York...but not much. Years ago, I was taken to a bend in the Ouachita River near Hot Springs, AR. The entire land area inside the river bend...maybe an acre, was nothing but magnificent flakes and cores from a Native American tool making site. It was several feet deep, of only the most beautiful, multi-colored, fine grained igneous rock flakes. There were countless cores that were nearly identical in shape and looked like a “step“ in a illustration of flint knapping projectile points. I was dressed in a business suit at the time, but filled my pockets, arms and a bag. I still have them and awe over their beauty and significance.
                Very great GreatMarsh, I would have filled every thing I could put the stuff in too. Kim

Comment

Thanks greg.-

Comment

Nice presentation, thanks. Your Burks county looks like our Georgia jasper and it is from Burke County.
                    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Wow now that's a coincidence. Thank you for you kind words willjo. Kim

Comment

Great post Kim and very informative. You have some nice material your way.
                        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Hey Kim, Great lithics and points/blades. I really like your root ball club.
                          Michigan Yooper
                          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Nice job Kim
                            Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Working...
                            X