Snyder County Chert Quarry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snyder County Chert Quarry

Winter is here, cold and breezy. Lake Effect snows yesterday, no accumulation. Too cold and windy to hunt field and stream.---- I wanted to show you this NA quarry near here, so I did a field trip today. First image is the rock face. As you can see it is very angular and blocky. Fossiliferous Devonian chert. Because of its nature, it doesn’t lend itself to large perform flakes. Hence the Artifacts we find aren’t very big. Anything made of this material, over 3 inches is considered big. First image is the outcrop; you can see how angler it is. 2nd is lower down the cliff where they were throwing the quarried chunks. From there on down the quarry hill is the debitage, from working the blocks into performs. I don’t know how deep the flakes go, probably 2 feet or more. The image of flakes in hand is obvious, tens of thousands of them. Last two images are quarry hammers. All have come from the river about ¾ mile to the east. They differ from site hammers as they are all cracked from having been pounded into the chert to produce blanks. I haven’t found many blanks here. I’m hoping some day to find a cache of blades. I hope you have enjoyed the tour. Kim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201118_132429.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	476.0 KB
ID:	507422 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201118_133458 (2).jpg
Views:	317
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	507421 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201118_133942.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	507420 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201118_133430 (2).jpg
Views:	296
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	507419 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201118_133508.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	507418
    Attached Files
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

This is just what happens when you camera drops a magic mushroom, everything looks blue ! Good show !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

That does it Kim...You just gotta start knappin, and I don’t mean on the couch...Good show.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
        That does it Kim...You just gotta start knappin, and I don’t mean on the couch...Good show.
        Thanks Hal.

Comment

Hand full of artifacts (technically) 🙂. Nice post.
          Central Ohio

Comment

Wow, that's an interesting find. There's got to be killer around there somewhere.

An elderly man from church was telling me about a place around here were he believes the natives quarried quartz.
            South Carolina

Comment

Cool thread and coool site!
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Neat site Mattern!
                I warmed up your pic a little bit..

Name:	~Debitage-.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	507744
                If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Narrow Way Knapper View Post
                  Wow, that's an interesting find. There's got to be killer around there somewhere.

An elderly man from church was telling me about a place around here were he believes the natives quarried quartz.
                  Go for it Narrow way. Find it, post it, brag about it! I can't tell you how exciting it is to hunt a real quarry site. Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Olden View Post
                    Neat site Mattern!
                    I warmed up your pic a little bit..

Name:	~Debitage-.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	507744
                    Thanks olden, it looks better. I was using my pad camera on the first shot, and the battery went dead. So I had to use my phone for the rest of the Picts. Charge the battery before you go out! Kim

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed this tour, Kim. Quarries are fascinating. You say this one hasn't yielded much in the way of finished work but I'm curious if you find pieces off-site that you can trace to this particular quarry?
                      California

Comment

Originally posted by tomf View Post
                        Thoroughly enjoyed this tour, Kim. Quarries are fascinating. You say this one hasn't yielded much in the way of finished work but I'm curious if you find pieces off-site that you can trace to this particular quarry?
                        Well actually Tom, how we found this place is, I was helping to do a chert study , in Snyder Co. With E.B. Able Arch. firm. The intention was to test every Quarry site through Crystalline X Ray Refraction. And to test Artifacts, to see if we could match points to locations. Unfortunately all the results were inconclusive. My personal opinion is that they should have done more Artifact testing over a County wide area.

Comment

• tomf
                          tomf commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Multiple quarries makes matching tricky. Is the chert various or similar (color/texture) at different quarries?
                          There are half a dozen known obsidian quarries in my region but I have found at least twice as many types of obsidian. Some quarries produce a single type (black and greasy or grey and sugary etc) whilst some have several varieties. I am always trying to make a match and sometimes feel confident but would love to have a better grasp on it. I guess experience will get me there eventually.

Interesting and informative thread Kim. Appreciate you sharing.
                        Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

I appreciate that you showed that . Help people understand some of the flakes they find in rivers or just a camp .

Comment

Thanks everyone for your likes and nice comments. Kim

Comment

Working...
                            X