Flying Saucer flint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying Saucer flint?

Click image for larger version  Name:	6605BFDF-1D69-42AD-BB49-55B86D57DD4E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	141.0 KB ID:	526795 I found this 6” diameter stone in a small branch near a woodland/ Mississippian mound site. There was no other pieces that looked similar. On the relatively flat bottom, in the middle, there is a slick, hard button about 5/8” in diameter. The rest of the surface is a limestone looking rock that is smoother on top and looks like layers on the bottom.
    I have heard of flying saucer flint, but have not seen one. Don't Click image for larger version  Name:	70FA0329-270D-4398-AEFD-BEFE01F6ED60.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	155.2 KB ID:	526796 feel like breaking it up. Looks too interesting.
    Attached Files
    Fayette County, southern Illinois

Interesting

Comment

That is a head scratcher. I haven't seen anything like it. Just curious but are you sure it's not some kind of industrial waste? There are some concretes that are fine grain and even made from limestone dust that can appear like a natural stone. Not saying you don't know your artifacts because I know you do, it's just that looks more like a poured, hardened material judging just from the two pics. I'll be following this post to see what others might know about it.
      Central Ohio

Comment

• Charles Jones
        Charles Jones commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m 99% sure it is a natural formation. Found miles from any place that might have used concrete like that. Can also see it is made up of many layers.

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, I figured you'd know, plus having it in hand of course. Hopefully someone has an idea.

Sometimes concretions form in this shape. Only way to know is to bust open, but DONT!
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Cool find, some of the limestone formations in the Midwest/Mississippi river valley have lots of types of chert nodules. I've seen some flat "pancake" nodules in some areas.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Charles Jones
          Charles Jones commented
          Editing a comment
          We don’t have anything like this within 50 miles of where I found this. I’m thinking it had to be brought here by someone a few hundred years ago.

Look at this rock. One side rounded/domed, other side flat with a “button” in its middle. It’s a concretion that’s been broken open ! Pretty neat.... The button is probably the lil’ organic whatever around which the concretion formed.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	5BC3E0B1-C986-402C-BDD2-F073BCEC9C1B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	140.7 KB ID:	527089
        Last edited by Cecilia; 01-22-2021, 07:53 PM.
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Charles Jones
          Charles Jones commented
          Editing a comment
          Other than the color, looks similar.

Hay again Charles. I think what you have is a fossilized Coral. Some like yours aren't as defined. The dimple is the nucleus where it started to grow from This one is Limestone and Calcite. Kim
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2828[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	215.6 KB ID:	527529
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mattern; 01-24-2021, 04:22 PM. Reason: Edit
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Charles Jones
          Charles Jones commented
          Editing a comment
          You may be right! There is some definition that looks like coral if you look close enough.

• Glacial Pebble
          Glacial Pebble commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s a dandy specimen Kim!

I thought you might think so, if you saw a more defined example. They are very similar in contexed. Kim
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Agree with Kim, nice find!

Comment

Here is one thought . I find so many iron ore pieces that are perfect cylinders . Might have been under water and coral grew on it millions of years ago .
            Don't know if your area is that zone .
            it’s an interesting site to literally see the earths crust cooled and if it were under water that could have happened .

Comment

Working...
            X