Lithic type? Connecticut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithic type? Connecticut

First pic is just a flake but dang it's a pretty one! Jasper is the material.
    My real question is for the second pic. I found a pretty cool little scraper with a beveled edge and some very fine secondary flaking to it but it's the material that I don't recognize...never seen it before, it's a blueish color, obviously a flint of some type but was wondering if anyone had seen it around this area before?

Southern Connecticut

Not sure where its from but I have 2/3rds of a Barnes/Cumberland I found locally that looks like similar material

Comment

Thanks flintmel, it's certainly not a local lithic to my knowledge.......Barnes/Cumberland?, I bet that is pretty made from this lithic!!
      I may call you tomorrow night if that's ok and take a look at meeting up for a beach walk!
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

Can't really see it in the pics but this piece has bluish lines in it

Comment

wow, would you look at that flute!! :woohoo:
          Southern Connecticut

Comment

If that lithic is heavier than most, I found the same thing in PA

Comment

Chris are there small veins of something in this piece toward the left side?
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Here's a couple pics in different lighting Matt, yes, there appears to be some type of veins in this piece. The veins appear kinda "chunky" and range in color from a pale blue to dark blue. Another weird thing is....the "core" of this piece as seen in the pic of the end....looks to me to be a Jasper. I've never seen any lithic like it here before?????........any ideas?

Southern Connecticut

Comment

Here's a page showing the colors of Pa. jasper. Don't see anything that color though. I did find an old thread on the other forum that showed hundreds of flakes and some seemed dark like yours. If you google "colors of Pennsylvania jasper" you will find that thread.

Rhode Island

Comment

I get a feeling it is Jasper. the veins are probably quartz. The blue look to them is probabl refraction from the dark material. Does light pass through any of the veins?
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss, That is actually a color variet of what we call, " variegated " jasper. Attch. is a photo of a perkiomen of the same material, blueish, but shaded somewhat lighter. There is a very restricted source of the material found near Shimerville, Lehigh Co. This variegated form of jasper ( see photos )comes in some of the most colorful, veined and mottled colors, and is highly sought after by ALL Pa. collectors. The most common point type of this material is the Transitionl, Perkiomen point.

http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Those are some very nice points Paul. thanks for the information. Chris has found a lot of Jasper on that beach and that and the veins is what led me to the conclusion it may be jasper. Now your post just confirms that. Interesting to see just how far some material had traveled in trade back then.

Comment

Very cool! Thanks guys for the info, it is pretty amazing how far this material traveled!!
                          Southern Connecticut

Comment

cgode wrote:

Very cool! Thanks guys for the info, it is pretty amazing how far this material traveled!!
                              It did travel far, have found many pieces here in RI and eastern Ma. I have always found it interesting how much the culture that made Jack's Reef points preferred it. That people did seem to insist on quality lithics, but I wonder if Pa. jasper was imported wherever that point style was utilized? The preferred local New England lithic for Jack's Reef was Braintree hornfels, another quality lithic, but they really loved jasper. Chris, are the veins in your piece translucent?
                            Rhode Island

Comment

The veins don't extend the entire thickness of the material Charlie for the most part, I can say with any certainty is they are translucent or not. Using a 20x loupe, I can say I see some quartz inclusions in other parts and I suspect the veins are a variety of such as well.
                              Southern Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                              X