Ironstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironstone

Find a fair amount of artifacts of this material in South jersey I ritually killed this one dropped it glued in center 😥
    New Jersey

Wow, that is some gnarly looking material. From the preview picture I would have thought it was native copper.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Here's. Some points pieces and an ovoid knife all ironstone
      New Jersey

Comment

• SGT.Digger
        SGT.Digger commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting most of those look like flake points and contain some kind of cortex. Wonder if that material comes out in flat slabs like some sedimentary rock layers do

New Jersey

Comment

I've occasionally found that material but didn't realize it was Ironstone. so Bull do you mind if I post a pict of one I found just for a comparison? Kim
        Last edited by Mattern; 02-16-2021, 05:15 PM. Reason: Addition
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I am amazed how the cortex is the same on one of mine. If I laid it with yours you'd think they came from the same source.

Comment

Old gnarly looking points I had to lookup Ironstone looks like it comes a variety of forms .

Comment

Not at all kim !!!!
              Last edited by Bullheadtee; 02-16-2021, 08:24 PM.
              New Jersey

Comment

I would not doubt that they did their trade network was quite extensive I find stone from Ohio copper from Michigan. I know a spot were they made quartsite cores. Find stone from all over their !
                New Jersey

Comment

Ironstone is actually a rare find for artifacts
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

Originally posted by Bullheadtee View Post
                    Not at all kim !!!!
                    Thanks Bull. It amazes me! These and yours had to come from the same source don't you think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2892.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	533907Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2894.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	533908

Comment

Nice lot of them have cortex on both sides. I'm not shure where the quarry is possibly Delaware !
                      New Jersey

Comment

Find them along the Delaware River and tributaries had to come by boat they have a 15% iron content. Hard material !
                        New Jersey

Comment

Looks like this one was made by the same guy as Yours Kim !!!
                          New Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Bullheadtee View Post
                            Looks like this one was made by the same guy as Yours Kim !!!
                            That is amazing Bull.

Comment

Working...
                            X