Is this ohio flint ridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this ohio flint ridge?

Is this flint from flint ridge in ohio? Finding alot in a field in logan county I just recieved permision to search. Was just tilled waiting on a big rain.

That's pretty stuff what ever it is.
    South Carolina

Comment

Looks like it

Originating in Eastern Ohio, Muskingum and Licking counties. A vein nearly eight miles long scattered along ridgetops. It's basic color is white to off white with light gray streaks. Flint Ridge is particularly distinctive for its bright coloration (virtually the entire pastel palette) when heat treated. Bright reds, greens,
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I am no pro, but it is consistent with all the flint ridge encounters I have been blessed with...absolutely my son’s favorite lithic material!
        Flint
        northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

I am amazed by how much flint I am finding and the size on 2 fields I just got permision to hunt. Not finding any artifacts but the one in picture. I assume all this flint was deposited by native american indians. Located zanesfield in logan county. Rich in native american history here. Wapatomica is just a few miles away.

Comment

Not sure of lithic type here . . . It looks similar to some of the Flint Ridge I have seen ... Possibly the "Nethers" variety but it also resembles some of the Plum Run chert which can be mistaken for both Flint Ridge and 2 of the Upper Mercer variants . . . Plum Run can range from black to white (even sometimes on one piece) Very colorful material, quality ranges from a little bit grainy to very waxy ... as far as I know Plum Run was not heat treated to improve knappability ... It's main outcrop is in Stark County, Ohio ... The piece you posted is very similar to several artifacts shown in the Plum Run section of "Prehistoric Chert Types of the Midwest" by Tony DeRegnaucourt and Jeff Georgiady . . . There were trails leading to Indian Lake since the Paleo Period from both Plum Run and Flint Ridge quarry areas . . .

Comment

Looks like heat treated Logan County Chert
              Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Working...
              X