Metallic-like material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallic-like material

Hi folks, I’ve been collecting the past 3 years or so and I’ve got some points that I’ve not seen similar material before. Some are (fine) glittery like these larger ones, others are more conglomerates, and some are just smooth, um, metal-like.
    I've included one that split while I was working it out of the ground so you can see the interior. Any ideas?
    oh, also my primary spot was apparently a quarry/production location bc most are not finished points.
    Found in Dawson County GA

Looks like a type of shale but I can’t tell if they are artifact related. Some material like that weathers very fast it will breakdown faster than slate
    NW Georgia,

Comment

I don’t think it’s shale, unfortunately the image doesn’t really show the colors and glittery-ness, it’s hard to capture. I’ll try to get a better shot.

Comment

Might be a quartzite then
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Looks like something similar to schist or gneiss, very friable metamorphic rock, cannot be knapped, so would not have been used to make flaked stone artifacts.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks SurfaceHunter and CMD. I guess schist looks about right, which I learned IS a shale so thanks to you both

Comment

Working...
            X