High Altitude & Early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Altitude & Early

Made a run to the continental divide and on the route up there is the highest altitude [9500ft] Folsom site in the US [Black Mtn]. The forest service road follows the path they would have taken to get there and a couple of cut banks thru private property have exposed some nice artifacts. These two were protruding out a few inches below the topsoil so I concluded them to be possible paleo pieces.
    Local volcanic lithics carried a ways from the source and showing some nice work making a heat treated chopper/cutter and pecking on one side of the round stone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09003.JPG Views:	19 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	566075Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC08999.JPG Views:	15 Size:	167.4 KB ID:	566076
    Last edited by Rio Del Norte; 08-10-2021, 11:50 AM.
    San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

I don’t see what you are seeing. I see natural rocks. I see a little spot that looks like polish on the round one, but not enough in my opinion.
    South Dakota

Comment

I agree. Natural. The one on the left doesn't appear to be knappable stone to me. Looks like it would crumble.
      Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Maybe, maybe a hammerstone or grinding stone for the round one, but you'd have to look for use wear.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
        X